The following is a list of basic information about coronavirus from the Pennsylvania Department of Health.
Common signs of novel coronavirus include mild to severe respiratory illness with fever, cough and shortness of breath. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death, according to the World Health Organization. The suspected incubation period of the virus is believed to be from two to 14 days.
To avoid the spread of respiratory viruses in general, the CDC recommends the following:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
University Park students experiencing symptoms can begin the screening process for coronavirus over the phone by calling the UHS Advice Nurse at 814-863-4463. Penn State urges faculty and staff to contact their health care provider immediately if they have respiratory symptoms with a fever and have visited China or been in close contact with someone who has visited China in recent weeks. Students at Commonwealth Campuses should contact their on-campus health services office.