“I Am Still Called by the God I Serve to Walk This Out”

Jordan Davis and Lucia McBath- RIP Jordan Davis

The article entitled “I Am Still Called by the God I Serve to Walk This Out” addresses the issue of racial discrimination powerfully and impressively through a conversation between the author and Lucia McBath, mother of Jordan Davis, a black teenager who was shot by Michael Dunn after a skirmish over music. The author starts her article by describing what happened to her herself, and what, she is concerned, is going to happen to her beloved son as a member of black community. Her wise use of language, such as the paradox of words in the fifth line: “That is because within the relative peace of America, great violence—institutional, interpersonal, existential—marks the black experience”, is striking and convincing. The author drew the reader’s attention to the pressure she was under and explained how she was unable to save her son’s “humanity” that she had to turn to Lucia McBath, who has a direct experience regarding this issue. Then, she transferred all the messages that Lucia Mcbath conveyed both intentionally to her and to the American society as a whole to the audiences in a wise and thoughtful manner. Lucia Mcbath’s words effectively backed up the author’s previous arguments about injustice and additionally open another perspective towards this matter. Lucia Mcbath‘s grace, calmness, and optimism even after the death of her son and her concern about inequality between the states triggered a great deal of compassion and understanding from me and, I believe, all other readers. At the end, the author concluded with what Lucia Mcbath told her son, illustrating hope and belief in the next African-American generation that they will create a positive change, and make the world a better place for them.

You can read this article from the following website.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/02/i-am-still-called-by-the-god-i-serve-to-walk-this-out/284064/

This entry was posted in RCL. Bookmark the permalink.