Taiwan vs. Thailand: Same, Same but Different

Walking in the crowd during the rush time between classes, I was stopped by clamorous voice from a group of students standing in front of the HUB. The only but very catchy word I heard is “revolution”. I felt my curiosity soar. As I walked closer to the source of that voice, one Asian student leaped towards me and quickly asked me for a couple of minutes. At that moment, the only thing I could do is giving her a little smile and voicelessly telling her that even if she asked me to leave, I would still stay there because I was super curious. She told me that all students who were carrying large billboards behind her and her herself were Taiwanese.

Not more than half a second did she let the time pass. She threw a great deal more information about what they were doing to me right away. No matter how fast she explained, her passion and all the stories she recounted effectively caught my attention.  She told me that they were protesting against the corrupted Taiwanese government, who has recently passed an illegal and barbaric Free Trade Agreement. A small flier was then handed to me on which she pointed out the photos of police attacking student protestors. She did not notice that I was shocked for a while about what happened in her country. Not because the photos were so violent that I could not handle it nor that I was amazed at how beautiful those photos were. These incidents, on the other hand, were so familiar to me that I asked myself if I am actually a Taiwanese. Sorry. I am just kidding. I am Thai, for real. The thing is that the similar upheaval is occurring in Thailand. Police attack people. A large number of innocent people are injured and died from the violence of the officials. I have got a lot of stories to tell you about these incidents. If I have a chance, I will clarify them to you in the next post.

Even after I signed the sheet that collects all signatures of the supporters of this movement, I felt myself absent-minded until the end of the following class. The last word I said to her was “Good luck”. I really meant it. I wish I could do something like her and her friend to help my country out. Even if they are just a minority of students in this huge campus, their intention and motivation are so strong and respectable. I took the flier out and looked at it again during my next class. The date written under the photos was that of yesterday. Only one day. They have gathered up, printed the fliers out, and finished all the billboards. Countless violent injuries have happened to people in Thailand for nearly a year. My Thai friends here, in contrast, are still blaming the people for this uprising.

Taiwan Students Protest

Taiwan Students Protest

This entry was posted in The Open Window.... Bookmark the permalink.