Blue-and-white pride permeates Big Ten country

I just returned from a recruitment trip to Chicago, and let me tell you, the interest in Penn State was overwhelming. I spent the week meeting with students in high schools and at evening prospective student programs, and I shared just as much information about Penn State as I learned from prospective students about their interests. I was surprised to find out just how many students had heard about our No. 1 ranking in the recent Wall Street Journal Survey. I was also surprised to see such a great turnout at our two receptions for prospective students. Between the two, we had several dozen students and their families who came to hear more about Penn State.

Some common questions I heard throughout the week:

When will I get an admission decision?

If you are a first-year student who gets a complete application to us by Nov. 30 (this includes your SAT/ ACT scores directly from the testing agency and your high school transcripts), you will hear back by the end of January. The bulk of our decisions for this applicant pool go out mid-December to mid-January.

Do you have scholarships for out-of-state students?

Most of our scholarships are awarded based on a variety of factors. We do not have scholarships that are based solely on residence outside of Pennsylvania. However, out-of-state students can save about $8,000 per year by starting at a campus other than University Park. Please review this page for more information on our 2+2 Plan.

Are there a lot of out-of-staters at Penn State? How diverse is the student body?

At the University Park campus, about 30 percent of the population is from outside of Pennsylvania. About 11 percent of students at our other 19 undergraduate campuses are from out of state. Throughout our multicampus system, about 17 percent of students are from underrepresented groups. For these and a wealth of other interesting facts about our student body, check out the Penn State Fact Book.

And, some advice for all prospective students, but particularly out-of-state students -VISIT!!! This is by far one of the best ways to tell whether Penn State is the best fit for you. The further you get away from Pennsylvania the more difficult it can be to visit, but hands down, you won’t regret spending time to do so. You can schedule visits at any of our campuses here: http://admissions.psu.edu/pennstate/visit/

Have more questions? Post them here!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.