FAQ: When will I get my decision?

You’ve finally settled on the sixth draft of your personal statement, have requested your transcripts and test scores to be sent, and just hit submit on the online application. Great! The bulk of your work is over. And now you wonder – when will you hear back from Penn State?

This is perhaps one of the most commonly asked questions this time of the year. The time it will take us to review your application varies slightly depending on what kind of applicant you are and the date you completed your application. On our website, we list specific expected decision dates for first-year, transfer, and international students throughout the year.

In general, if you complete your application before November 30, you should expect a decision by January 31. If you apply after November 30, you should expect to hear from us about 6-8 weeks after your application is complete. This takes slightly longer for transfer students, since we need a bit more time to evaluate transfer credits. Please note that a complete application means that we have received your online application, as well as all other required documents such as transcripts and test scores.

Remember, you can always check the most up-to-date status of your application on your MyPennState profile. As soon as we make a decision, your MyPennState account will be updated in real time – so if those 6-8 weeks have passed, keep logging in to catch your decision as soon as it happens!

Good luck!

This entry was posted in Admissions Information, Application Information, Applying to Penn State and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to FAQ: When will I get my decision?

1. Kim Emigh says:

Thank you – we are trying to process the thousands of documents as quickly as possible! Best of luck to her!

2. Renee Higdon says:

My granddaughter is anxiously awaiting a reply from you. After I’ve read everything you go through I will tell her to exhale as your personnel work very hard sorting out all the information you need to go through. Thank you for posting all you do in accepting/decling applications. I’m sure my granddaughter will start breathing again while awaiting your decision. Thanks again.