Incorporating Visuals

As a writer, being able to fully maximize the use of your visuals is an important tip that I’ve previously mentioned in my blogs. Though it’s just so important, that I thought it deserved it own post. Visuals can range from the use of items such as images to the font. It may seem like an afterthought, but these components can really bring a piece together.

Example:How to Make Your Email Marketing Campaigns More Accessible | AWeberI mean just look at the image above, the use of a picture really improves the readability and (potentially) the content if done right. To get started here’s a few common steps in incorporating images:

1. Label, number and title every graphic
  2. Place the graphic in the right spot. 
  3. Introduce and explain every graphic.
  4. Document your graphics.
  5. Make your graphic stand out.
  6. Make it easy to find your graphics

Reading this you may be thinking that there are sooooo many more steps than you originally assumed (as did I), but that just goes to show how all these minute factors work to help your writing. They mainly delve into the more technical aspect, though that should be something to keep in mind as you improve your professionalism. Remember to always cite your work and give credit to the source for information you found, and always include images that enhance the substance. There is no use in adding a picture that serves no purpose in the greater scheme of your messaging. After finding that image, fill in details like assigning a title, reference, and connect it to your writing.

On top of images, another visual aspect is the font you chose. Reading an article by Mikael Cho, he goes into how fonts can elicit certain emotions and associations from your audience. Just consider the text below:

Funny font chart separates the good from the evil | Creative BloqThere are so many different variations/ styles of font in which people can use to express their writing. Some, like comic sans, will forever be societally viewed as “less than.” So it’s important to understand the connotations of fonts and the appropriate circumstances of using specific fonts. Don’t solely think about how legible a font is, as comic sans is very readable but it can also say a lot about the author’s character (things that may not be good).

Overall, take a second look at your writings and see where is are any lulls. It could be the perfect time to include an image or two to elaborate or visually explain content rather than blabbing on for paragraphs. Images will always be a welcomed break for your reader, and in respect to your font choice you can never go wrong with Times New Roman.

Writing for the Internet

Step 1: Clickbait your audience

Alright not really, but let’s be honest, when we’re online our attention span goes out the window. If something is uninteresting in the first 5 seconds, what are the odds that it’ll get interesting? ZERO. Personally, I find it unlikely that I’ll continue giving whatever I’ve glanced at my time of day if I’m not immediately curious about the content. Clickbait-y headers and titles are seemly the way the internet has decided to draw people in. Though, it’s never really effective, and so I’m here to share two major tips I’ve come across about the art of paragraphs.

Step 1 (for real): Appearance

To captivate an audience, you really should work on making it look compelling to read. Skimming is a tool that we all use to quickly evaluate whether something is worth our time. If nothing is grabbing your audience’s focus then you’ve doomed yourself to being obsolete and unremarkable.

PPT - The Basics of Graphic Design PowerPoint Presentation, free ...You can remedy this issue with tactics I’ve previously discussed in other blogs such as: varied sentence lengths, special characters, and etc. By including additions such as easy short paragraphs, bolded lettering, clear sections and headers, you can more transparently advertise your material and invite readers to learn more. Don’t worry about keeping something too formal and remember that visuals play a key role in written material as well. Any links, images, videos, and interactive components will help stimulate your audience and liven up your material.

Step 2: Quality of Content

After your hard work of appealing to your reader, you now have to prove that your work was worth reading. A few things to keep in mind when catering to your audience is keeping things short and concise. Don’t overexplain and repeat yourself, nothing is worse than redundancy. It’s a waste of your time and theirs.

10 Expert Tips For Writing SEO Optimized Blog Posts - Digital Ducats Inc.A simple tactic is implementing an “inverted triangle.” By starting off with a general statement/conclusion you can draw in a larger audience and strategically narrow in on your agenda/thesis. This further helps give an allure to the reader and is an easy structure to format that will enhance readability and the flow of your material.

Takeaway:

Everything mentioned here is merely a suggestion, though it’s incredible to see the transformations made when applying such obvious steps. If you decide to take more consideration and thought into the appearance and quality of your content it’ll definitely help improve your connection to an audience. I am someone who is stuck in their ways of using the same methods I’ve learned in middle school/ high school. Though just because it was fine then, doesn’t mean that is the limit and the best work you’ll ever do. There’s always room for growth and using these tips can help!