Jen L.

Fearless is not a word I use to describe myself. However, most of my family and friends would describe me as bold and confident. I am perfectly content keeping to myself and focusing on what I need to do to succeed in life. When it comes to doing something outside of my comfort zone, I immediately talk myself out of it. On the outside, I am perceived as calm, cool and collected, however, on the inside, I am freaking out. I definitely have a Type A personality, so stress comes with the territory. When I learned that I had to complete a ropes course with the other Wesley interns for a trust building exercise, I began to doubt my abilities. I am scared of heights, I have horrible coordination, and I dislike feeling out of control. So basically this exercise seemed like my worst nightmare. The beginning of the ropes course was extremely challenging. I had difficulty trusting the other interns that they would help me across these obstacles. However, as my group completed each obstacle, I became less anxious and more adventurous. I stepped out of my comfort zone and attempted the more advanced or difficult routes to complete the course. By the end of the course, I was completely comfortable with my group and I grew as a person. Even though I was still terrified at some points, I definitely trusted the other girls in my group to either physically help me across the ropes or mentally help me through encouragement. I’m glad I didn’t listen to the negative thoughts in my head to quit the course before I even began. This trust exercise helped me get closer to the other interns and I am happy that I can call all of them friends!