Eating Right and Feeling Good

An awesome way to feel good about your body is to eat right. It’s so easy to go to a store and pick up a candy bar but you have to constantly remind yourself to take that extra couple seconds and grab some fruit instead. Healthy food is also usually more expensive (which sucks) but I promise the benefits are so worth it.

Every body reacts differently to foods so it is important to experiment whether that be vegetarian, pescatarian, carb cycling, etc. Don’t be discouraged while you’re trying new things, you’ll eventually find your niche. Don’t forget, eating good does NOT mean eating LESS! Whole foods can satisfy hunger quickly while snacking will never appease your hunger. It is extremely important to have a balanced diet. Make your plate colorful as a rainbow and ditch the GMO full packaged foods.

Since I am in college just like you, I wanted to give plenty of options that are possible with what is available on campus and downtown. Stock those cubbies in your dorm full of healthy choices so there is no temptation. The food that you place at your fingertips is what you’re diet will consist of.

SNACKS

• FruitMy all time favorite snack is any type of fruit. I personally love grapes, pineapple and cantaloupe. If you ever dont like the taste of a fruit, buy some fruit dip. It seriously tastes just like yogurt. A weird thing I do is eat pineapple with whipped cream. It balances the tart with sweet and limited amounts of whipped cream is allowed 🙂
  • Banana and Peanut Butter
    • Love this as an afternoon snack. The pb fills you up and is still nutritional. Try cutting your bananas in wheels and making a pb sandwich.
  • Apple and Peanut Butter
  • Rice cakesI love these because there is so much you can do with them. If you have a sweet tooth like me, try nutella and strawberries on one.
  • Vegetables
    • Steamed broccoli and carrots is where it’s at.
  • Pea Snaps

• Skinny Pop Popcorn
  • Nuts
    • Try the assorted nuts to see what you like. Nuts are always a great quick snack.
  • Smoothies

DINNERS

• Chicken
    • Grilled of course, fills you up and gives you nutrition!
  • Shrimp
  • Eggs
    • If you prefer dippy eggs, make wheat toast instead of white
  • Any type of salad
    • Chicken caesar, steak, buffalo chicken, honestly anything with a heap of greens under it!
  • Wraps

DESSERTS

We all know that we have a sweet tooth so here are some great ways to cure that without feeling guilty.

• Halo Top
    • Apparently this is a “college” snack. I was introduced to this just recently and have fallen completely in love with it. Halo top is literally protein rich, healthy ice cream. It tastes the same, just is healthy! If you’re craving a midnight bite, try this
  • Frozen Yogurt
    • Frozen yogurt with some fruit on top makes a delicious dessert
  • Sorbet

Dinner Buffets in College

1. Variety – a colorful plate is always a necessity
  2. Lesser portions – it’s so easy to take more than we know we can eat, so try to take a smaller plate to make it look fuller! You can always go back and get more
  3. Skip the dessert bar – overcome your temptations
  4. Water Water and more Water for your drink
  5. Try new things
  6. Go to different buffets – each one tends to have different options

Choosing healthy alternatives and options has helped my reach numerous goals and has affected my energy in such positive ways. I feel good about myself and I am overall a more vibrant person now.