2012 TLT Symposium Impressions

I really enjoyed Jane McGonigal‘s keynote address on gaming. I had no idea that young people, especially, were doing so much of it. Shouldn’t they be spending more time in the real world? But as a learning environment, I was impressed with how games provide a positive, joyful experience while dealing with difficult problems. McGonigal pointed out that gamers will happily spend hours in frustration in order to solve a difficult problem. This is in contrast to the sad and depressed way many students approach their school work. It’s all in the attitude of how you approach the work. If nothing else, I need to find ways to import that joy and determination in my courses. It’s only after you go through the frustration that you can enjoy having learned something new. 

Gaming reminds me a little bit of simulation as it is practiced in operations research (OR). Models are built to resemble real world problems. They can be run many times to provide statistical results. Only they don’t often have as nice a graphics as the modern games do.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.