Getting Started

Greetings!

I have returned, dear readers, for a post that is probably long due. Welcome to another week of Calligraphy Corner! Today, I would like to discuss how someone could potentially get started in decorative writing.

For anyone interested in calligraphy, I would first suggest that you do your research on what you want to explore! There are so many different types of pens and writing styles to choose from. You can go for brush pen calligraphy, digital calligraphy, use a traditional fountain pen, and more .Browse Youtube and Instagram tags like #handlettering and #letteringart to figure out what intrigues you the most.

Fig. 1. Zebra. Modern Calligraphy Styles Using Zebra Pens.

Once you pick a style that captivates your interest, you want to pick a set of good tools to use as a beginner artist. These tools are dependent on whatever style you choose to explore. For brush pen calligraphy, you really only need the pens themselves and your paper of choice. Brush pens don’t usually come in different components like fountain pens, so you don’t have to worry about meticulous preparation. Digital calligraphy is a bit different; you obviously don’t need to use a real pen and paper with this style. Instead, getting a compatible stylus and tablet will make your goals go off without a hitch. The Adobe Suite has multiple apps that make digital calligraphy a breeze. Adobe Illustrator is quite commonly used for lettering of this method. Procreate is another popular option among calligraphers. If fountain pens are more your style, check out the previous blog for a look at how you can assemble them.

Fig. 2. By Dawn Nicole. Procreate Lesson: Lettering On Photos.

When you have your tools settled, you should make a decision on how you want to proceed based on your learning style. If you love to read, I would definitely suggest you take a look at calligraphy how-to books to really get a feel for the shapes you want your hand and pen to be able to form. When I started practicing, I would read these types of books to understand why I had to press the pen in ‘x’ way with ‘y’ amount of pressure. I found them incredibly helpful. Most of the books I’ve read choose to introduce a basic alphabet designed to be learned using a fountain pen. If you are interested in trying out a different type of pen, I would definitely make sure to do your research on a book’s content before purchasing it. The one below is an example of a book using fountain pens as part of its calligraphy instruction.

Fig. 3. Amazon. Calligraphy Workbook For Beginners.

If you are more of a visual video learner, I would point you to YouTube and its thousands of calligraphy tutorials! For any type of lettering you want to try, there is guaranteed a tutorial out there that matches your needs. These are very nice when pictures don’t seem to cut it. There have been plenty of times where I needed to watch someone complete a specific stroke before I could figure it out myself. I found some here for you to check out:

Digital Calligraphy Tutorial

Brush Pen Tutorial

Fountain Pen Tutorial

Whatever method you choose to go with in learning basic alphabets and strokes, you will end up needing some form of a guide or practice sheet to add accuracy to your characters. These guides often come in those calligraphy how-to books I mentioned earlier, but you can also find them for free all across the internet. To improve one’s calligraphy, I want to strongly emphasize how helpful these sheets can be.

Fig. 4. Tombow. Lettering Practice Worksheets.

Above all, once you have the tools and some base knowledge, you just need to practice, practice, practice! It is always advantageous as well to expose yourself to new things in order to find what you are really passionate about or good at. Take a few minutes to browse some of the above links and see if you find anything interesting!

Fig. 5. Instagram @elena.sol.calligraphy. Home Is Where The Pen Is.

Thanks again readers, and see you next time!

3 thoughts on “Getting Started

1. Youtube is definitely a go-to for tutorials on most things nowadays. I didn’t really know about digital calligraphy, I think that would be a really cool art form to explore. I totally agree on the practice part, anytime you ever want to get good at something it takes time and effort. Those practice sheets you showed would for sure be useful to get the hang of the lettering – I think I might have to try it after reading your posts!

2. I think I’m more familiar with digital calligraphy than physical, pen-on-paper calligraphy, as I have prior experience with Illustrator (although I never really did any calligraphy myself). I wonder which form of calligraphy you consider easier to do? I would assume digital since you could always just ctrl + z any mistakes you make. I also like how you linked specific YouTube tutorials, as that would be very useful for beginners. I love how tutorials like the ones you linked are so easy to access nowadays to learn new skills like calligraphy with little to no cost. I also think that it’s great that you highlight the importance of practice, because at the end of the day, that’s all you can really do to improve a skill. Awesome blog!

3. I think about 90% of the time I need a tutorial for something, I turn to YouTube. Whether the topic is a homework problem, a guide on how to build something, or anything random, I have always found what I needed on YouTube. So, when it comes to calligraphy, I’m not surprised that the guides are also endless. Another part of your post that I think is really cool is the fact that you can do calligraphy through digital media. I did not know that you could do calligraphy on something like an iPad. Going forward with this knowledge, maybe I will have to test out calligraphy for myself using my iPad! Cool post!