Faux Calligraphy

Welcome back to Calligraphy Corner, everyone! This week, I want to talk about everything faux calligraphy.

What is faux calligraphy, you might ask?

Faux calligraphy is a way to manipulate a non-calligraphy pen into achieving an aesthetic result similar to traditional calligraphy. The alternating thin and thick strokes found in regular calligraphy are accomplished by repeating the same strokes a few times over the same place to create a thicker line than the pen is supposed to create. Faux calligraphy exists in the realm of hand-lettering. Both end products of each type of lettering look similar. The main difference can just be seen in how each type is completed.

Fig. 1. The Postman’s Knock. How to Make Faux Calligraphy.

In traditional calligraphy, the artist has control over the weight of their lines. They can press harder into the paper and turn the pen at various angles to get the look they want. Though fountain pens (and others) like these are extremely helpful in creating the beautifully formed letters we typically associate with calligraphy, they are not the only tools that can be used. As mentioned, faux calligraphy repeats the same strokes to duplicate the result of the traditional calligraphy pens. The fun thing about faux calligraphy is that you can become skillful at lettering and use whatever writing utensil you want. You are not limited in choosing a specific type of pen and ink. Many artists who are fans of faux calligraphy will simply use regular, office-quality ballpoint pens or markers.

Fig. 2. Instagram @magichandlettering. Talk to Yourself Like Someone You Love.

My current best suggestions for writing utensils to use in faux calligraphy include the Prismacolor Premier Illustration Markers, the Tombow Dual Brush Pens, and the Pigma Micron 01 Fine Line Pen by Sakura. My own personal preferences most often include fine line pens and pens/markers with a brush tip. I think the brush tip pens are easiest to get control over in terms of the weight of the letters you create with them. With these pens, you are able to create thick lines more organically as you can apply force and movement to the brush. Both Prismacolor and Tombow have awesome lines of brush pens available that I have seen many people have success with. Fine line pens are nice too in that the way they release ink is extremely controlled; you will not find ink beyond the initial drawn line of the pen unless you smear the page accidentally.

Fig. 3. Tombow. Pumpkin Spice Dual Brush Pen Art Markers.

Fig. 4. Prismacolor. Marker Set, Fine Tip.

I want to point out some high-quality tutorials and introductions that you can watch if you have an interest in this type of lettering. The Postman’s Knock is a great source for beginner faux calligraphers to do some light research on how to create letters with weighted lines. Lindsey Bugbee, who runs the site, has a really fun tutorial on using faux calligraphy to address envelopes. Another resource you could try would be Loveleigh Loops. I have mentioned this site on this blog before and I am referencing it again because they have a host of excellent teaching videos. One video in particular relevant to this topic is their video on “How to do Faux Calligraphy for Beginners.”

You can also find good information on the websites of reputable pen brands. One professional site that I like is Staedtler. They make a variety of art products and technical instruments, including some high-quality fine line pens. Zebra USA also has a good page for a simple faux calligraphy tutorial. They chose one of their Artist Ambassadors to create this how-to. They have a boatload of fun products that I really enjoy as well, including the Mildliner line that is used by professionals and teenagers alike. Faber-Castell, the most historic brand listed thus far, also paired up with Michael’s to create multiple hour-long classes on YouTube to explain faux calligraphy.

Fig. 5. Zebra USA. Bouncy Lettering Tutorial.

Thanks for reading this week’s edition of Calligraphy Corner! Feel free to let me know if there is any topic you want me to cover specifically. See you next time!