Information for prospective students
Applications for WMF 2021 cohort will be available October 1st, 2020
*click here to view a sample application
Applications are DUE November 1st, 2020
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen. Permanent residents are not eligible.
- Applicant must be a Penn State University Park first-year undergraduate student. Minority students may apply in their sophomore and junior year.
- Applicant must qualify for at least one of the following programs: WISER, MURE, or FURP. See the homepage for a description of each program.
- Applicant must be able to commit to spending five hours per week in research related activities each semester of the program.
- The internship occurs over the spring and fall semesters after you are accepted in December of the previous year.
- You are expected work on your research project for ~5 hours per week and be in communication with your faculty mentor.
- You are awarded a stipend of $600 for each semester of this internship (the internship does not extend through the summer).
- We highly encourage participation in the WMF research symposium at the end of your internship (november)
- Review the research laboratory/project descriptions posted by participating faculty members. Make a note of up to three labs in order of your interest (1-most interested lab, 2- very interested, 3-somewhat interested). Please select three labs to increase your likelihood of being selected.
- Complete and submit an online application by the November 1st deadline. Click here to view a sample application.
- In November, participating faculty will be notified of your interest in their lab and may choose to interview you (via phone or in person). Be ready to respond to their emails!
- Decisions will be made in mid-December. All applicants will be notified by email. If selected, your internship will start right away in January when classes begin and last for both the spring and fall semester (summers are not part of the program).
Please check the home page for a list of important dates.
Please direct questions related to laboratory selection or general questions related to WISER/MURE/FURP to Dr. Erin DiMaggio at: email@example.com