Teaching the Consequences of Sexual Assault

Not often does one see a bumper sticker that calls out a hot topic in society. However, in this specific bumper sticker from Cafe Press, the creator masterfully calls out how sexual assaults should be dealt with by making a mathematical argument utilizing logos.

Image result for sexual assault bumper sticker
“Meaning No Pic Bumber Png Sticker (Bumper) Meaning of NO Bumper Sticker by Willigel.” CafePress, https://www.cafepress.com/mf/29591205/meaning-of-no_bumper-sticker?productId=294464701.
As you can see, the bumper sticker was created off the idea of “no means no”, and what the consequences should be for men that don’t quite understand the definition of “no”. The bumper sticker incorporates logos into its statement by setting up the scenario in a chronological, mathematical equation. It can be assumed that most people over the age of around six understand the concept of addition via a plus sign, and that what’s on one side of the equals sign must equal what’s on the other side. Cafe Press designed this bumper sticker under the assumption that a simple mathematical equation was commonplace knowledge.

Cafe Press also assumes that the graphics themselves would be easily understood. I think they do a pretty good job at this, because although they are assuming people will understand that given the word “NO” being added to the second graphic, the male figure touching the female figure is not consensual. While some may argue that this is too vague, I think it’s a fairly commonplace belief that touching followed by an explicit “no” is not consensual.

The bumper sticker then concludes by showing the man with an arrow in his crotch area to show what the violation of the word “no” deserves. Overall, I think the bumper sticker does a pretty good job at using logic to address a controversial topic.

One thought on “Teaching the Consequences of Sexual Assault”

1. I really like the bumper sticker you chose and your analysis of it! Even though the sticker is about a serious issue, it manages to be funny about it while still making a statement. I think that the use of the typical male/female bathroom sign figures also helps to make it simple enough for everyone to understand, because everyone has seen these bathroom signs before and know what the figures mean.