Writing Assignment #6: 2 Haiku Poems (Traditional- Nature/Nontraditional-Culture), 1 Free Verse Poem, 2 Twitter Poems

Traditional Haiku: Nature: The Beach 
Nature- Traditional Haiku: The Beach

The shores of the beach,

Met by glistening hot sand,  

Palm trees rooted near. 

Non-Traditional Haiku: Culture: Diversity 

Culture Nontraditonal Haiku Diversity

Respect traditions 

Open-minded to others 

Mixture of people 

Free Verse Poem: Let It Snow 

The snow falls profusely,

Packing snow overwhelms the ground,

Clamping down on the surface,

Covering the vast tundra,

Driving in the white stuff is a conundrum,

Endless snow in the winter season, perhaps spilling over into spring. Free Verse Poem Let It Snow

Twitter Poem 1: America 

America is a land of liberty

Manifest Destiny from sea to shining sea

Being as open-minded as can be.

#America 

Twitter Poem 2: Humanitarian issues of big companies 

Borgen Project aims to combat poverty and hunger around the world.

World Food Programme focuses on giving food to people.

#Humanitarianissuesofbigcompanies

For my first “Twitter Poem” on America, I wrote an end rhyme poem describing the essence of America.  I said that America is a scene of liberty and freedom, while saying that Manifest Destiny encapsulates the foundation America is laid on.  I also said that America is an “open-minded” country with different viewpoints through my third line, “Being as open-minded as can be.” This poem has end rhyme in it because the last word of the second and third lines respectively rhyme (“sea” and “be”).  For my second “Twitter Poem”, I wrote a free verse poem describing humanitarian issues of big companies, most notably the initiatives that the Borgen Project and World Food Programme are currently carrying out.  I stated the goals and objectives of both programs, which aim to fight poverty and hunger around the globe and provide necessary food and nutrition to people who are devoid of it and who are less fortunate to have food at their fingertips.  My traditional haiku focused on nature, particularly the beach, when I described the shore, sand and palm trees as images that provide a visualization of imagery in one’s mind.  My non-traditional haiku focused on culture, where I outlined the fundamental aspects of diversity among cultures throughout the world.  For example, when I said “mixture of people” in the third line and “respect traditions” in the first line I intended to point out that  you need to respect those aspects of cultures in order to be open-minded and have an open ear to all types of cultures/their rituals across the globe.  In the free verse poem, I described and characterized snow falling in the winter season and perhaps spilling over into the spring season.  I also pointed out that driving a car and comuting in the snow can be a “conundrum”, while I provided personification when saying, “clamping down on the surface.” I gave “snow” the human quality of “clamping down” or “having a firm grasp” on the surface of the ground.