PAS 1: Got Woke?

Have you ever been interested in learning more about the different aspects of culture and history that seep into ‘black life’? In this blog, I will be taking a deep dive into the different elements of black culture like fashion, beauty standards, trends, and language, just to name a few. With each of these subtopics, I hope to compare, contrast and relate them back into my personal life as a Black female born and raised in a predominately white city in Eastern Pennsylvania. This blog will be just as much of a learning experience for me as I hope it is for all of my readers. There is so much to learn about Black culture and life, and bringing more awareness to the culture behind ‘blackness’ will allow us all to be more appreciative of it as we recognize it in our day-to-day lives. 

The action of appreciating black culture opens up an entire discussion of where the line falls between cultural appreciation and appropriation and how we can recognize the differences between the two. 

Appreciation involves genuinely acknowledging and respecting elements of Black culture without seeking to exploit or profit from them.

Appropriation occurs when elements of Black culture are borrowed, imitated, or adopted by individuals or groups, typically from outside the Black community, without the proper understanding, respect, or acknowledgment.

When it comes to cultural appreciation, it is typically rooted in a lack of understanding of a complex culture, which may then lead to the oversimplification of cultural elements, stereotyping, and exploitation. All of which may be avoided with seeking out knowledge and trying our best to educate ourselves.

With this blog, while I hope to share and bring some awareness to the histories and nuances of black culture, it is incredibly important to acknowledge that in just a mere 400-word blog post, I am unable to encompass and deeply discuss every single element of black culture. For this reason, I encourage each of my readers to pursue their own individual research alongside this blog. Spend time learning more about not only Black cultures, but the cultures of other marginalized groups throughout the United States.

I really hope that you all enjoy this passion blog just as much as I do and can use it as an opportunity to become more educated individuals. I look forward to learning so much more about Black culture and sharing my analysis and experiences with you all!! 

3 thoughts on “PAS 1: Got Woke?

1. srw5733 says:

This first post really peaked my interest for the ones that will follow. Not only did you discuss topics you were interested in going over, but you also shared how your personal experiences will influence and aid in the description of these topics! I also appreciate your clarification of the difference between “appreciation” and “appropriation”, two terms that are sadly misunderstood quite often. I am excited to become a more educated individual as I read through your future posts in this thread!

2. mlm6311 says:

I’m so utterly excited to read what you have to write! You’re experience sounds so profoundly unique and I hope to hear more about it! The way you break down even just beginner concepts into easily digestible definitions and examples is truly an example of how masterful your writing skills are. I’m so excited to hear more about your experience and see more of your wonderful writing 🙂 !

3. asd5744 says:

I really like this idea for your blog. I feel that it is a very important topic to discuss, especially if people have not heard terms like “appreciation” vs. “appropriation” before. I am excited to see what you are going to write in the future.