Pas 4: It’s Cultural Drip

In this week’s passion post, I wanted to focus on the significance of jewelry in Black American culture as well as Nigerian culture. 

One element of jewelry that is significant to Black American and Latinx women is hoop earrings. These earrings originate in  20500 BCE in the Nubian civilization, which is now present day Sudan located in Africa. In ancient Egypt, royalty like Cleopatra and Nefertiti showcased these pieces and today, hoop earrings can be seen as symbols of resistance and strength. 

In many Black communities, hoop earrings are a right of passage and often symbolize growing up, stepping into a new identity, and celebrating one’s ethnicity. The simple piece of jewelry could be passed down from generation to generation and serve as a cultural and family heirloom with so much sentimental value. 

In the late ‘90s, hip-hop, R&B, and rap significantly influenced fashion trends within the Black community. Popular artists like Salt-N-Pepa influenced many women to adopt hoop earrings as a form of beauty, power, and as a symbol of femininity and sexuality in a mainstream way.

For women in Black American culture, hoop earrings play a significant role in their sense of self and identity. For me however, hoop earrings were not passed down to me as a family heirloom and I never really gravitated towards them in stores, as they were usually not my typical style. Despite having not grown up wearing jewelry like this, I always recognize the beauty in others who chose to wear these styles. I really admire the earrings and the many different ways they can be styled and personalized to match the woman wearing them.

On the other hand, I’d like to discuss some jewelry from the Yoruba tribe in Nigeria, as this aligns with my upbringing and experiences a bit more. 

Jewelry plays a big role in Yoruba culture, as it is a way to express one’s femininity, wealth, and status to the world. Growing up, I can always remember my mother always reminding me to wear earrings and a necklace when I left the house. Before going to weddings and special events, I can also remember sorting through boxes of jewelry with my mom to find pieces that would match with the Nigerian clothes I would wear. 

At weddings and special occasions, jewelry is also used to highlight the importance of the event. At weddings, beaded necklaces sets are often worn by the bride and groom as well as close family members to express status and happiness for the celebrants. 

It has been really interesting to see the similarities between how Black American culture and Nigerian culture view jewelry and its importance. Both cultures recognize the importance of it, yet style them differently which I really admire and have an interest in.