PAS 7: The Divine Nine

A blog on the African American experience in the United States would certainly not be completed without a discussion on Greek Life and the Divine Nine. 

The Divine Nine is the name given to historically Black Greek-letter organizations. They hold a significant place in Black American history and culture and include the following organizations:

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. 

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. 

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.

These organizations were created at different times, different universities, and for different purposes. Despite this, they collectively offer Black college educated students across the United States the opportunity to experience a sense of community and pride in their Blackness. In addition to the brotherhood and sisterhood offered by these organizations, they are committed to making contributions to specific communities and society as a whole. 

Key pillar points of these organizations include service, social justice, and education as they reflect the determination and strength required by Black Americans throughout history to pave the path that we walk today. Collectively, these Divine Nine organizations have shaped and continue to shape Black culture and social ideals in the United States. 

So, you may be wondering what makes these organizations different from the other Greek organizations you may see on campus. For one, they are composed of majority Black men and women, a trend that is often not seen with other fraternities and sororities. There are several other differences between the two types of organizations, but one element that I wanted to focus on was strolling. 

If you are unfamiliar with what strolling is, it is an organized dance that is usually performed in a line which represents power and unification. Strolling is a right of passage for members of these fraternities and sororities and has been passed down for many years. It’s highly respected and not performed by members who are not part of these organizations. 

In the stroll, the specific movements and line formations typically hold historical value to the organization, however their specific meanings are often not shared with members outside of the organization. The kind of secrecy and tight knit information helps to create a closer community and develops a greater sense of trust between members in the organization.

As of now, I am not part of any of the Divine Nine organizations, however I do have connections to the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc as my brother crossed into the organization earlier this year. The sense of community, brotherhood, and sisterhood that I have seen through these organizations is unlike anything I have ever seen before. The strolls performed at parties, cookouts, and large events are also super impressive and always fun to watch. 

These organizations have played a large role in Black culture in the US and my life in the past  year and I hope this has helped you learn a bit more about Greek Life for Black students!

HERE'S EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE BIRTH OF THE DIVINE 9 -  Because of Them We Can

One thought on “PAS 7: The Divine Nine

1. ggr5105 says:

I hope you get to enjoy and become part of one of the Divine Nine organizations! it’s cool to hear about these organizations and their traditions!!