1. Let’s Get Started: Not-so Common Dining…

Donate Extra Meal Points To Help Students In Need | Onward State

Sign at Redifer Commons, Located in the South Area of Campus, Image Source

Ohhhh yeah! Mmmmm! SoOo good! That’s the stuff!! Hmm, maybe not that though… echo throughout Redifer Dining Commons as starved students extinguish their hunger with a bite. With copious amounts of carbs, the dining commons is a food paradise for young people just escaping their family’s homes, off on a new adventure: college. Not only is it all you can eat (within a styrofoam container), but you get to choose what you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Despite being mostly shut down, due to COVID-19 restrictions, Redifer is surprisingly still delivering quality college food. On my first day, I smacked my lips together as I consumed Thai curry shrimp and sweet potato pancakes with chipotle sauce. Definitely, a wonderful start to Penn State cuisine. The spice was the perfect mix of heat and flavor. Although most of the menu at the dining commons is reduced, it is pleasant to see a few exotic dishes to expand one’s taste.

Pepperoni pizza in front of bricks with card display of food items on top

Pizza from Penn State’s Dining Commons, Image Source 

Not in the mood for that? Do you need some comfort food to fill that emptiness you have because your family isn’t around? Well, you can fill your container with heaps on pizza, breadsticks, and fries, too, to really carb-load for those long walks to in-person classes. Additionally, pre-packed salads and fruits are available to balance out your meal.

Some other favorites of mine are the roast butternut squash and the pumpkin cheesecake. The pumpkin cheesecake, in particular, adds a special end to the meal. Its Fall flavor makes me reminisce about Thanksgiving with my family and diving into a delicious pumpkin pie!

NYU students slam school over 'paltry,' unsafe quarantine meals: 'We are just hungry'

An Example of a Meal that NYU Students Received, Image Source

Penn State is doing an awesome job to provide food to students, in spite of the worries of the continuing pandemic. However, not all schools are the same. Recently, New York University (NYU) was hit with controversy as students reported not being fed or being fed unusual meals. Some students posted videos to  TikTok, showing meals that already had gone bad with mold, meals that ignored some students’ dietary restrictions, and other weird combinations, like just salad dressing for dinner. Thankfully, students are now receiving gift cards to order their own meals.

Knowing that students are paying high tuition rates, this was quite disturbing to hear, but also enlightening, knowing that I could choose whatever I wanted on campus. Even though there are complaints about the long lines and lack of iconic options, like Late Night, we, Penn Staters, are truly blessed.

By still having an eclectic mix of foods, Redifer provides a wonderful option for students on a budget, looking for a convenient bite of tasty food. With that being said, I look forward to seeing Redifer open up more and experiencing Penn State Dining fully.

Stay safe,

Rachel

2 comments on “1. Let’s Get Started: Not-so Common Dining…Add yours →

1. First off, your blog looks amazing. Very sleek and easy to navigate. Secondly, this is a super cool topic to do. We here at Penn State definitely take it for granted how good we have it (especially seeing the tik toks from other schools), and this blog is a great way to draw attention to and show appreciation for what we have! I’m interested to see where this goes next. Will you include any off campus dining places? How will this change after COVID restrictions are lifted? I look forward to finding out.

2. Hi! I love that you brought in a comparison to Penn State’s dining hall food (NYU). Personally, I didn’t know about their food controversy and it just adds more info into the blog post. It’s nice to see how good we have it compared to other universities. I can’t wait to see all the food you explore:)