7. Laying Down Roots

Roots Natural Kitchen | hla-2016-refresh
Roots Natural Kitchen Front, Image Source

Freshman Year is full of milestones. For many, this is the first time that we are living away from our families. Additionally, we transitioning into dorm lifestyles, making new friends, and attempting to be adults. Another classic Freshman Year occurrence is the “Freshman Fifteen” when you gain fifteen pounds in your first year of college. In my attempts to eat healthily, while still eating well, I wanted to find a great veggie spot with options to combat the infamous stereotype. Craving some fresh greens? Then, Roots is the go-to spot.

Growing up, I always loved vegetables. I can’t get enough of a simple stir-fry or a filling salad. I especially loved when my mom would make a Chinese vegetable, 空心菜, with dinner. Veggies are great. However, Penn State’s are not always my favorite. I compare the salad in the buffet to “rabbit food”. Moreover, the cooked vegetables sometimes come out oily or mushy.

Order Roots Natural Kitchen (Pittsburgh) Delivery Online | Pittsburgh |  Menu & Prices | Uber Eats
Roots Bowls, Image Source

Due to this, Roots is a great alternative because of its variety of healthy bowls. Roots Natural Kitchen is a casual dining experience on par with Panera or Chipotle but focused on salad bowls.  Typically, the bowls come with one or two bases, like kale or grains, and then other ingredients to really make it filling. My favorite bowl is “The Southern”, which has Roots rice, kale, chickpeas, roasted broccoli, charred corn, lime pickled onions, white cheddar, BBQ tofu, and lemon tahini dressing. However, you can also make your own combinations.

Sweet Tofu Pudding - 豆腐花 - Dim Sum Guide
Sweet Tofu Pudding, Image Source

When I first experienced Roots, the BBQ tofu really impressed me. Throughout my life, I’ve had many kinds of tofu dishes, ranging from sweet tofu pudding to savory add-ins. But, BBQ tofu was new to me. Roots’ BBQ tofu is wonderfully crispy with the tanginess of the BBQ sauce to complement any salad bowl. Moreover, it is tasty enough to replace a regular meet. I know Penn State tries to do the same in with their salads, but Roots has mastered their tofu game.

Moreover, you may be realizing it, but I love having leftovers. Leftovers are the best, especially for breakfast when I’m too lazy to go to the dining commons or running late. Well, Roots surprisingly fits this too. Even though salads notoriously get soggy quick, Roots stays fresh for the next day. This has to do with its use of hearty veggies, like kale, but also it not using too many watery ingredients. The fact that these salads make good leftovers proves even more that this is a quality meal… or two.

So, just like what many of our moms may be saying, I highly recommend that you eat your veggies! Don’t get caught by the “Freshman Fifteen!” Although Chick-fil-A and Sbarro are so convenient in the HUB, Roots is well worth the effort… and think about the extra calories you’ll burn when you walk Downtown to get it! Roots is definitely becoming a regular of mine, and I hope it becomes yours, too.

Stay fresh,

Rachel

Roots- 270 E Beaver Ave, State College, PA 16801

3 comments on “7. Laying Down RootsAdd yours →

1. “Attempting to be adults”……. heavy emphasis on the “attempting” for me.
    A club I’m in, Remote Area Medical (RAM) *shameless plug because y’all should check it out*, did a fundraiser at Roots, and now I’m wishing for more than one reason that I had found the time to participate! It was just one of those days were I was too busy and too lazy to go any farther than Redifer for food. I completely get what you mean though that PSU’s veggies leave just a bit to be desired. On top of what you highlighted, I’m also pretty sure that the dining hall has never heard of seasoning. And anything that claims to have tofu usually means it’s 1% tofu, and you get one piece per scoop if you’re lucky. Next time I get fed up (haha, fed up, haha bad pun because I’m up later than I should be) of PSU food, I’ll have to try out Roots.

2. Like Sarah I’m also in RAM and our fundraiser was how I found out about Roots. Its a really good place and like you said its a good way to avoid the Freshman 15. I actually enjoy going on walks so, especially on nice days, Roots is a great place to go. Also with the covid changes to dining halls the veggies are less than to be desired. It def adds to the appeal of Roots.

3. Hi:) I’ve heard so much about Roots and I’ve been meaning to try it for some time now! The BBQ tofu sounds so good too — I’ve never heard of it. Similar to your thoughts, it’s hard to find good tofu (-10/10 for the tofu in the dining hall salads), and I’m so excited to try this. I also wanted to let you know that I did end up trying Tea Time and it was AMAZING! You’re so right about their variety of flavors while also having the best prices! Just a little tip — you have a broken picture link that can be fixed before this is graded:) Great post!!