8. Yall-ah Tac-oh So Much About This Place

Jack Black Brings Back Nacho Libre For Brand New COVID PSA - CINEMABLEND
Nacho Libre!, Image Source

Whenever I eat Mexican cuisine, I immediately think of Nacho Libre. Nothing is more memorable than Jack Black in tights. I mostly think about this movie because unauthentic Mexican food is much like the very white Jack Black playing a Mexican luchador. Not the best, but a guilty pleasure (most of the time). Well, this week we go to the well-known Yallah Taco.

Ever since I arrived on campus, I’ve heard tons of people rave about the new taco place. Everyone recommends it as a must-try. However, Mexican restaurants are not my favorite. I’d rather spend my money on Chinese food or boba. Not that I don’t enjoy Mexican food, it’s just that I find many places boring. Most of the Mexican food that is available at eateries have the same tacos, burritos, and meat. I prefer empanadas, jicama, sopas, and other traditional, less frequent dishes.

Moreover, there are tons of other Latin American cuisines to experience. My neighbors at home, the Sanches, are Brazilian immigrants, and I often babysit their kids. Mrs. Sanches makes delicious Brazilian dishes and desserts, including dulce de leche. There are plenty of other regions that I and many Americans still need to explore. So, before I dive into Yallah, keep this in mind.

Yallah Taco defines itself as a Mediterranean-Mexican fusion restaurant. Not

Yallah Taco State College, PA - MapQuest
Tacos, Image Source

surprisingly, I do not see the Mediterranean side of this place. The menu consists of various tacos, burritos, nachos, quesadillas, and drinks. When I went, I ordered two shredded beef tacos on corn tortillas. When I ate the tacos, it tasted good. Just good. In my opinion, they are a bit over-hyped and nothing special; I’ve had better. I do have to compliment the fullness of the tacos and the fact that they gave me a lime on the side. I love adding a hint of citrusy freshness from the lime on my tacos. Because of this, Yallah is definitely better than places like Taco Bell.

Going with friends, I enjoyed the ambiance of the College Avenue location. Additionally, they got some different dishes; my friend loved their quesadillas and strawberry drink. The place was lively and forces you to have a good time. The interior is well decorated and colorful, Also, they played energetic music that you and your friends can jam out with. Overall, Yallah Taco is not the most special food, but a special time with friends.

Yallah Taco opens third location in State College | WTAJ -  www.wearecentralpa.com
Yallah Taco Exterior, Image Source

So, if you are looking for mind-blowing Mexican food, Yallah is not it. However, it is worth going to with friends for a fun time with good vibes. Moreover, feel free to explore other Mexican and Latin American dishes!

Stay adventurous,

Rachel

Yallah Taco- 310 E College Ave, State College, PA 16801

6 comments on “8. Yall-ah Tac-oh So Much About This PlaceAdd yours →

1. Interesting post. I love the idea of commenting on restaurants around PSU. Do you ever comment on prices of the food? From what I hear a lot of the hype comes from the affordability, which may explain the unauthenticity.

1. Hi!
      Thanks for the feedback! I don’t usually talk about the exact prices, but most of the places I go to are affordable for students… around the $10 or less range. If the prices are unusual, I take note of that too. However, I’d say Yallah is pretty average in price. Some places I’ve been to before sell $1 tacos that are better.

2. RAM has had a couple fundraisers at Yallah Taco, but I must say I agree with your assessment that it’s not really that great. I mean, it’s fine, but it probably wouldn’t be in my top ten places to go in State College. Now, the best Mexican restaurant I have ever been to is El Jefe’s in Boston.

3. I went to Yallah the day it opened on College Ave. At first I thought it was pretty good, especially considering that there aren’t many good Mexican places around my hometown. However, its gotten just a bit worse each time I go. I still don’t think its bad, but I agree with you that it’s nothing revolutionary. Their drinks are pretty good though.

4. Interesting take on Yallah Taco! I always liked this place, but after reading your assessment, I would have to agree. This definitely isn’t the best Mexican food I’ve tried, however, I love their ambience. I think the way they decorated, the music, the popping colors draw attention and makes people want to go their. They kind of ‘lure’ you in, in a sense. It is a fun time with friends, but their food isn’t over the top.

5. Your take on Yalllah Taco is really interesting. I always enjoyed eating here, but after reading your review, I think you may be right. I love their ambience — the decoration, music, popping color — but the food isn’t the best Mexican food I’ve had. It’s kind of like they ‘lure’ you in with the atmosphere they create. It’s a fun place to go hangout with friends, but the food isn’t anything special.