2. Getting Cozy with Galanga

Image result for thai food
Thai Food :), Image Source

When you think of comfort food, what comes to mind? Mac & Cheese? Fried Chicken? Mashed Potatoes? Well, for me, I automatically think of Thai food. Thai food gives me the same warm feelings that all of these other foods do. Aromatic and sometimes spicy, Thai food is fantastic for when you just want to feel cozy. This week, grab a fluffy blanket, and let’s get cozy with Galanga by Cozy Thai.

Galanga is a Thai restaurant in State College that was established in 2014 as a sister restaurant to the well-known Cozy Thai Bistro, which resides on S Allen St. Although I’ve never been the big sister of this restaurant, I’ve heard satisfactory reviews about it as well and hope to try it when I get back to campus.

Image result for galanga by cozy thai
Galanga by Cozy Thai on College Ave, Image Source

My first time going to Galanga was on move-in day for the fall semester. My parents and I spent hours driving to State College, checking in, and moving all of my junk into Atherton. After we finished our hectic day, it was 3 PM, and we had yet to eat lunch. Well, just down College Ave, we stumbled into Galanga. Once we got our food, we were absolutely revived, and I was ready to start my new college adventure.

Throughout the semester, I returned occasionally and tried various menu items, like the Penang Curry, Spicy Basil with Crispy Pork, and Thai Iced Coffee (highly recommend them all). However, the number one test for a Thai restaurant is the Pad Thai. No matter where you go, the most important reviews from food critics are about the Pad Thai.

Pad Thai is a rice noodle dish with lots of other ingredients, such as egg, bean sprouts, chicken, peanuts, and other veggies, that is sautéed in a wok. It should have a tangy, smoky, and slightly sweet taste. And, if the restaurant gives you a lime on the side, you are golden.

Well, Galanga passes the Pad Thai test. Although I wished it had more veggies and was  smokier (they should heat the wok up more), it’s a solid plate that will satisfy

Image result for pad thai authentic
Yummy! Pad Thai, Image Source

all of your noodle needs.

Despite being iconic, Pad Thai has some fascinating origins too. For instance, Pad Thai isn’t even really Thai. Pad Thai has all of the flavors of Thai food, but the style of stir-fried noodles draws from Chinese roots. It was first introduced in the 1930s/40s by the Prime Minister, Plaek Pibulsonggram, as a way to promote his Thai-nationalism initiatives. By popularizing this dish, he tried to unite the country as well as promote the economy by having street vendors sell it. Moreover, Pad Thai was a healthier option compared to traditional, heavier rice dishes. Now, Pad Thai is served all over the world as the quintessential dish of Thai restaurants. So, I guess the Prime Minister succeeded.

Regardless, Galanga serves up quality Thai dishes that will hug your soul too. Once we get back, I recommend heading over to get some noodles.

What’s your go-to comfort food?

-Rachel

Galanga by Cozy Thai- 454 E College Ave, State College, PA 16801

6 comments on “2. Getting Cozy with GalangaAdd yours →

1. I always walk by this place downtown and yet I’ve never gone inside. I guess I’ll have to now because I absolutely love Thai food. Thai food is definitely one of my comfort, not foods, but cuisines because I have so many dishes from all different countries that can all be classified as comfort food: sushi, pizza, Thai basil rolls, ice cream, honestly anything. I think that every country has its own version of a noodle stir fry, but they’re all equally as delicious in their own ways.

2. I am an absolute crazed fan of Thai food. There is this one small place in New Jersey that I love to go to. Their pad see ew, pad kee mao, and green curry are to die for. If you haven’t tried one of these dishes I urge you to! I am so glad I found someone else who considers Thai food their comfort food.

3. Great post. This was a very detailed review of Pad Thai and you are obviously knowledgeable about it. I also, like how you provided a short history of Pad Thai. It seems ironic that, to promote nationalism, the minister choose a mostly Chinese dish. Anyway, your blog makes me want to try Galanga.

4. Hey Rachel! I just want to thank you for these blogs. I am new to the state college and was looking for places to explore. I went to the bagel crust and I really liked it. I am also really excited to visit this new place. Overall, your blog post is very useful to the people who likes to eat different cuisine and are new to state college! Keep it up!

5. Hi! I have never had Thai Food and I was always curious about this restaurant when I heard about it. I am always scared to spend money on new foods only to not like them or to receive an order that I did not expect. Your review gave me a good idea of what to expect there and I plan on trying it this semester!

6. I love Pad Thai and Galanga! My mum and I went there before I moved in this is semester, which is a coincidence since you did it last semester. Personally, I think there Pad Thai is very inconsistent — it’s always good but tastes different every time. I agree it needs more veggies but the sauce for me is perfect. (A lot of the Asian cuisine around here lacks in veggies though, which is unusual). Thanks for sharing the background story of how Pad Thai became popular; I never knew that.