Relaxation 101

In this post, I want to teach two basic relaxation postures in yoga. I think most have heard of the one, child’s pose, but the second (probably more obscured) may be new to most, crocodile pose. These two posture can be worked into a work out or daily life for periods to steady breathing a feel a sense of relaxation.

The steps to child’s pose…

1. Start on hands and knees with your naval in the center of the mat.
  2. Next, while keeping your hands extend and shoulder with apart, touch your big toes together and spread your knees apart. While doing this, bring your knees down and rest your butt on your heels.
  3. Then, make sure your arms are extended wide and knees are spread far enough apart to allow for your stomach to expand when breathing. Rest your head on the mat and relax.

Modification: rather than having arms outstretched, you may choose to rest your arms to the side of your body with palms facing upward.

If a deeper stretch is sough, you may wish to spread your knees wider or have a friend place slight pressure on the sacrum.

The steps to crocodile…

1. Start by lying down on your stomach with feet relaxed behind you.
  2. Then, cross your arms underneath your head
  3. Finally, rest the forehead on your wrists.

Modifications: In this pose, you may also, rather than resting on your wrists, raise your shoulders and rest your chin in the palms of your hands.

While in either of these poses, to get the maximum amount of relaxation focus on breathing fully with equal inhales and exhales. Hopefully these posture will give an outlet for relaxation in your busy and stressful day! makarasana4Crocodile Pose

4 Thoughts.

1. I think it’s really great how you gave some tips to help us if the position doesn’t feel right. I feel like that is one of the reasons why some people don’t do yoga because they fear doing it wrong. So that was really helpful!

2. This was really helpful and informative! This week was super stressful for me so I’m definitely going to try those two poses to relax.

3. I hadn’t realized there was a crocodile pose…it kind of looks like you’re taking a nap. Your blog has such original content which is why I’m on yours instead of the other ones I’m supposed to be looking at. Awesome job!

4. This blog is definitely a blessing. I’ve always loved the idea of yoga but actually going somewhere to take a class or something is hard to fit in to my schedule, these tips are great for just spontaneous times at home.