Upper-level: Up-Dog

Hey guys! Hopefully you’ve been practicing some of the postures that we’ve talked about previously because this week’s pose is a little more difficult than the rest. I call it up-dog (I think it’s really called upward-facing dog), and it’s almost the opposite of downward-facing dog. This posture works to open the chest and truly puts your core strength to the test.

The steps…

1. To start this, lie prone with your naval in the middle of your mat (once you get the movement down, you could also start in other postures like downward dog)
  2. Next, place your feet soles facing toward the ceiling.
  3. Then, place your palms about shoulder-width apart and elbows bent perpendicular to the floor.
  4. Now, simultaneously press into the mat with your feet and lift your body up. Also, it is important to draw your shoulder blades together and down (don’t over-do this motion).
  5. Your chest should naturally open up, allow this to happen, and if it is not too much of a strain on your neck you may want to shift your gaze toward the ceiling.
  6. At this point, the only parts of your body that touch the mat should be your hands and feet. Your knees and lower legs should be slightly off the floor.

After reading this, you could probably assume that this puts a significant amount of pressure on the wrists. It goes without saying but I’ll say it just to make sure you know, if you feel discomfort stop the pose. Give it an honest effort but remember, this is the most complex posture we’ve discussed thus far so, if you are having trouble with it, don’t be afraid to look up a “How To” video. b917b65828ed4b74

5 Thoughts.

1. I actually did use last week’s position! It was really helpful and in the end I was able to relieve some stress. This week’s position looks just as promising!

2. I like the nickname you have for the position– made me laugh! Also, it is very helpful that you provide a picture to demonstrate!

3. When I read your blog every week, I think of two things:
    1) This is really well written and I love your passion for this topic.
    2) I wish I was in shape so that I could actually do these poses you write about.

4. How many different Yoga positions are there? It seems like its own special art, with thousands of techniques to learn.