Warrior I

Welcome back to Yoga Yourself! I hope everyone’s semester is off to a great start. I just had my first week of tests and am looking forward to the salvation of the weekend!

I’m assuming that, like me, many of you are counting down the days until Spring Break. (It’s 21 if you count the weekends and 15 if you only count the actual days of classes for those of you who aren’t, now you can start!) Unfortunately, until then, we must still persevere and struggle through the daily grind of our workload. So, this week I am going to teach you to channel your inner warrior to help conquer your inner procrastination monkey (flashback to last semester’s TED unit).

There are three warrior poses and like most series, they tend to increase in difficulty In this post, I am going to teach you Warrior I, the easiest of the three.

The Steps…

1.     Beginning by standing at the top of your mat. Take a moment to ground yourself here before transitioning into a high lunge. You can have you back foot raised or, if it is more comfortable, turned perpendicularly to your front foot and resting on the mat.
  2.     Once comfortable in the high lunge, place your hand (with elbows bent) on your hips and make sure they are aligned facing the front of the room.
  3.     Then, raise your arms above your head with your palms facing each other. Additionally, you may gaze up towards the ceiling to release any tension that you may feel in your neck.
  4.     For more of a stretch, you can bring your palms together and arch your back stretching the upper torso slightly back.

This pose is great for strengthening your legs, a needed trait at this point in the semester when the workload is starting to weigh you down.  

3 Thoughts.

1. I love that introduction! I can’t wait ’till Spring Break and knowing that it’s only 21 days away makes it all better. The Warrior sounds like a great way to work out your legs and like a great way to relax!

2. I’m definitely going to need some of these stretches to destress with the start of midterms. The warrior seems interesting and can’t wait to learn some more poses next week.