No Place For…History?

My first week of freshman year at Penn State has been inundating.  I’ve spent the last seven days running around campus looking for buildings, writing my email address dozens of times for clubs I may not ever join, and collapsing onto my dorm-issued twin bed hoping to finally get a full night’s sleep.

As a certified nerd, one of the greatest experiences of the week was going to my classes.  Yes, I said it, I’m the kid that loves class.  In college we get to choose what we study, so why not pick something you love, right?  Speaking of loving what you do, one of my first assignments is to create a passion blog to write about something I care about.  It’s an awesome assignment, but I have to admit, it’s intimidating.

My first response to the assignment was yes!  I can write about the nerdy things I love!  I created a plan to write about historical queens that changed the game for women of their time.  Satisfied with combining my love for history and women’s rights, I started googling influential queens around the world.

The further I got into it however, the more I thought that I could write about something more important.  Sure I love history, but maybe there was something more meaningful to talk about.  What am I really passionate about?  Well, long story short, I want to fight for equal rights on campus.

After thinking it through, I’ve come up with a new plan.  I’ve decided to start my college career by writing a passion blog called “No Place For Hate” to discuss discrimination in our culture.  By writing about contemporary issues, I hope my blog will raise awareness on campus about prejudice and promote acceptance in all contexts; after all, WE ARE, aren’t we?

One thought on “No Place For…History?

1. After reading your first blog post, I feel like I just had a face-to-face conversation with you! Your voice shines through your writing, and I really admire that. Through your writing, I feel like I was able to follow your thought process very clearly as you contemplated your passion blog topic. At the same time, you were able to make your writing more personalized, like acknowledging that you’re “a certified nerd,” which made me relate to you more. As for your passion blog topic, I’m really looking forward to reading it. Some may think that discrimination is a sensitive field to tackle, but I think it’s not only important, but also necessary. With that said, I can’t wait to read your first passion blog post!