I Can’t Keep Quiet

I can’t keep quiet, no

I can’t keep quiet, no

A one woman riot, oh

I can’t keep quiet

For anyone

Anymore

These lyrics from MILCK’s song “Quiet” resonates with women across the United States in a way that few slogans ever have.  On January 21st, 2017, Connie Lim (MILCK), first performed her song a cappella at the Women’s March in D.C. – her performance was videotaped by spectators at the march, and the song quickly became a rallying cry for women around the country.  As the piece gained media attention, MILCK released an accompanying music video, adding a visual story to her musical one.  “Quiet” is an incredible song that unites women in their common experiences of modern sexism, and is empowering us to speak out against injustice in today’s world, to refuse to keep quiet.

• “Quiet” addresses the fears and pressures that American women face today
    • the first verse addresses the societal expectations for women to behave a certain way
    • the lyrics acknowledge the fear of being harassed for speaking out
    • the refrain releases these anxieties when MILCK sings “I can’t keep quiet, for anyone, anymore”
    • the music video shows a physical interpretation of the feelings that strike a chord with women all over the country

• “Quiet” is challenging American women to speak out for their beliefs and challenge the expectations imposed on us by years of sexism and inequality
    • MILCK released the song after being told she shouldn’t (not keeping quiet)
    • first sung at the women’s march
      • keystones of the evolving women’s rights movement
    • women that had never met each other sang together to support their cause
      • they’re not keeping quiet

“Quiet” is a song that does so much more than get stuck in our heads – it gets stuck in our souls.  The mournful lyrics turn into words of empowerment, and MILCK’s refusal to keep her silence is inspiring women across the United States to speak out against inequality.  In today’s political and social climate, “Quiet” is empowering us to engage in our communities and fight for our rights.  It shows us that we can let them hear what we have to say; we can’t keep quiet, for anyone, anymore.