The Faces of War

“It’s What I Do” tells of Lynsey Addario’s life as a conflict photographer – it unveils the inner workings of a woman who has seen almost every modern world conflict up close. However, the pages of her memoir do more than just detail her experiences; it tells the stories of those on the other side of her camera lens.

This image from the memoir has been seared into my memory.  This boy’s face (pg. 189, 210 ) is full of uncertainty, his brow furrowed with the weight of his surroundings.  The dirt on his lip and his bloodshot eyes reveal that this child has faced more in his short lifetime than I will ever have to; the bandages on his face a stark contrast to the brightly colored bandaids I wore on my scraped knees as a child.  This photo reminds me to fight for peace, to prevent more pictures of children like this one.

This second picture is equally penetrating to me.  These Pakistani men serving the Taliban (pg. 198, 210) look directly into the eyes of the camera, their gaze unwavering.  The young, handsome face of the man in front is unsmiling, his head resting gently against his automatic weapon.  War has forced him to become a man, and no matter which side he fights for it breaks my heart that youth all over the world are losing their innocence to violence and hatred.

My passion blog centers around discrimination and ways American college students can fight for equality.  We as young people can connect to the powerful visuals, and I will use that to further my cause.  By showing the world how people are affected by prejudice I hope to strike a chord in my peers that will encourage us to promote peace, and protect children from horrors of war.