RCL5: Focus For Advocacy Project

For the advocacy project I have decided to go down a similar path that was explored in my persuasive essay. I will be advocating for healthy social media habits. As I was writing my persuasive essay, and collecting the necessary research for that, I discovered how illiterate many people are. 

With that being said, social media plays such an important role in society today. It will be my main goal to get users more comfortable with using the various platforms, but also red flags to be aware of before reposting, or sharing out information. 

I have seen this happen to my loved ones where they read something on social media and believe it to be true, when really it is fabricated. Many times my mother has seen a recipe or hack that is simply not true, but she is not able to pick up on the clues that are alluding to that. 

Adding on to that idea, my main target audience for this project will be older adults/seniors who struggle with using social media. It is so understandable why the older generations may have a hard time adapting to the ever-changing world of technology. It may be easy for someone my age to criticize those who do not get social media, but I realize that the older generations grew up without this being a main factor in their lives. Also, younger generations are set in their media habits since they are more frequent users, but adults/seniors are more impressionable in this situation. 

The main motivators to want to be changed are security, education, and well-being. All three of these factors are important motivators, but each has their own appeal. For security reasons, social media is filled with scams that target the older community into giving up their social security numbers, credit card numbers, ect. They deserve the opportunity to feel secure and safe when using social media. 

Being educated is a feature motivator because some may feel helpless when using social media, so this would be an opportunity for them to gain essential knowledge. 

To tie these two motivations together, striving to improve their well-being is also a motivator that would lead them to wanting a solution. As previously mentioned several times, the world is filled with social media, those who do not know how to spot the red flags are at severe risk, so this may be an outlet for them to seek information to protect themselves. 

Some of the possible solutions I will propose are fact-checking with multiple sources, checking out other posts on the account, and seeing what people are saying in the comments. All of these ideas may lend themselves to older audiences feeling more comfortable when using social media, leading to healthier social media habits.