Print Shortlink

Wk 14: ELLI – Learning Relationships + Review GAME!

ELLI: Learning Relationships

We flipped things around this week to fit everything in  – starting with ELLI and Learning Relationships.

We briefly discussed the  profile document for this piece of ELLI and then looked at the research in an article on student academic support:

Blair Thompson (2008): How College Freshmen Communicate Student Academic
Support: A Grounded Theory Study, Communication Education, 57:1, 123-144

Knowing that we were to do this segment on learning relationships today, I was quietly observing students as they came into class (just returning from our Thanksgiving break). The class was happy and rested and interacting in really nice ways – and across the usual groups…I saw hugs, and laughter, and asking questions about assignments. One student told me she had encouraged another student, who hadn’t been doing LearnSmart at all during the entire semester, to get it done. And indeed, I noticed the student had completed it over the break which amazed me!

So when we went over the article summary (see details below), I could use these very real examples from my observations in support of the research!

Learning Relationships is the last section of ELLI that we needed to cover, so next class, they will actually take the ELLI post survey and we’ll get to see the changes!! I am really excited about things at this point. One of the things I remember Teresa Hill (our ELLI trainer) talking about was the goal of creating a common language in the classroom about ourselves as learners. I really do believe I have seen this happen – in their responses and reflections, I see and hear the language of learning power… Now to measure that.

Review Game

I created a review game that we played using the material from CH 14 of the BiSc text. The game had a 3-fold purpose: 1) get good at the game itself before we play it for real stakes during the last week of the class (winners earn the opportunity to increase their grades in one category of the course), 2) to review the BiSc content after the break, and 3) to continue to foster connections between the class members as they move out of this first semester experience and into the rest of their studies.

Here is a copy of the Game card and instructions

For each round of the game, students have the chance to work with a different partner. In addition to the game itself, students would have to find a connection with their partner and get contact information (PSU e-mail for example) if they so chose to do so. This gave students a chance to get to know more students while there was still time. We had done groups during the class, but I know everyone didn’t get the chance to work with everyone else. This created a good positive spirit in the room which made me think to do this Learning Relationships segment as the first segment next year – as an ice breaker… This notion of a connecting game is a nod to our Head Librarian and project partner, Barb Eshbach, who has formalized this idea of connecting people through her First Year Experience game that she will formally pilot next fall!

Article Summary

1) College transition is stressful/ challenging – making new friends, adjusting to new academic expectations + separation from normal support systems (family, friends)

2) Studentrs need support – seek it out with faculty, support staff, and each other

3) Research shows that when you form social and/or academic bonds with other students, your persistence rates rise.

4) Freshman drop-out rate is 20-30%

5) Formal (peer tutoring) and informal support are both important.

A) Action-facilitating support – informational and tangible – academic problems – working together and explaining things – walking with someone to class to get them there
B) Nurturant support – motivational and venting – encouraging students to get the work done and compliments + overcoming frustrations through venting: listening, sharing similar experiences, identifying with each other, calming each other down, letting the person talk and listening support

6) Causal Conditions surrounding student academic support

A) Academic workload changes (hs to college) – more and more challenging
B) Level of responsibility and freedom changes (hs to college) – need for self-motivation
C) Need and level of support – in hs there wasn’t a need – now there is a need b/c it is more challenging

7) Phenomenon related to differences between HS and college

A) Initiating support – giving and receiving it – don’t assume others don’t need/want support
B) Informal nature of support – happens through daily conversations
C) Mode selection – how does it happen – mostly F2F – sometimes Fb
D) Developing a support network – different networks for different needs
E) Characteristics of supportive students – willingness to help – taking time to explain difficult concepts – challenging you to “Get to class!”

8) Context in which Support Strategies emerge

A) knowing each other
B) students’ communicator styles – shy students challenge yourselves
C) educational characteristics – students better at some subjects – more likely to support others
D) level of seriousness at college

9)Intervening Conditions
A) availability
B) comfort level
C) shared context