Print Shortlink

Last Week – Course Wrap-up Game

Well, the last week has arrived and we lost one day to a snow day, so everything got squeezed into the last day… I wanted to finish with a game to leave them thinking about all the reading strategies we covered as well as lifelong learning attributes we had covered.

It was a great way to finish up the class – gave us a chance to review the big ideas as well as play the game in a fun way. Students had the chance to earn points in two ways – their own work (for more points) or getting help (for fewer points). Bonus points and lightening rounds were thrown in to add surprise and the fun factor. At then end, anyone who earned at least 80% of the points possible could choose to up their course grade in any weighted category by 10 points – 50% of the class made the mark – and for 3 of those it meant an increase in a half letter grade.

This class was about getting students to take advantage of every opportunity for success – to wake up and pay attention to what was happening to them in and through their educational experiences. I wanted for them to be awake and alive in the present moment – to notice the changes in themselves and to embrace the experience that is college, rather than just tolerating the courses and experiences – for many , it seems they just want to get it over with and get on with life – rather than really enter into the experiences – I think many students did wake up, and I felt very privileged and gratified to be part of the process (a catalyst) with them.