Challenge Yourself to Do Great Things

In the past year I have felt so many questions on how I can make the most impact in this world and whether I could manage the challenge of becoming a physician. I have heard multiple doctors into the past explain that being a doctor is not what it used to be and that they are instead a slave to their paperwork and do not get enough time with their patients. I have had doctors straight up tell me, “If you think you could be happy doing anything else, do not become a doctor.” You can imagine how discouraging those sentiments could be and I entered junior year with a lot of doubt and questions about my future. However, this weekend I have met so many incredible role models for my future that have provided me with so much hope and confidence.

Ever since the Boston itinerary which included his bio came out I was  in awe of Dr. Price. First Dr. Bruce H. Price is an incredible neurologist and pioneer for intersecting the fields of neurology, psychiatry, neuropsychology, and neurosurgery. He is the co-founder and co-director of the Center for Law, Brain and Behavior. He went to Harvard University for his undergraduate degree, then attended the University of Cincinnati college of medicine. He has a remarkable list of accomplishments including once being the chief of the Department of Neurology at McLean Hospital, and now being an Associate in Neurology at Massachusetts General Hospital and being an Associate Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical school.

For those of you who know me, you may know the passion I have for neurology and how inspiring Dr. Bruce would be to me. Throughout his talk I sat with glee, repeating in my head, “Yes. I want to emulate his actions. ” Through out his talk he hit on 3 important life lessons:

1. Overcome and Learn from Adversity
  2. Find Great Mentors
  3. Challenge Yourself to do Great Things

I hope to take this advice and run with it.

1. Everyone deals with hardships in their lives but it is how we handle those hardships that define our character. I would say my hardest adversity come in the form of my mother’s health. My mother endure Multiple Sclerosis and watching her trials and triumphs have been very testing for me at times but it has also infused a passion for neurology and neurodegenerative diseases into my heart. I am fascinated by the way the brain functions and I would love to dedicate my life to get answers on that disease.

2. My first goal is to have Dr. Price as my mentor. After the talk, I kept telling myself, “I need to talk to him”. I was inspired. I had so many thoughts and questions. I was intimidated but in the best way possible. I went up to him and introduced myself and have a small snapshot of my ambitions starting with, “I am an aspiring neurologist”. After only a few more moments, he told me to e-mail him and said that they hold internships at the Center for Law, Brain and Behavior. My body was shaking with excitement.  I would love to better understand his story and his goals for the field of neurology. I want to do everything in my power to inter at the Center for Law, Brain and Behavior this summer. If I felt this inspired by him just after a one hour speech, I cannot imagine how much I could learn from him in the long run.

3. I feel an incredible calling to be a neurologist, but the process to get there would not be an easy one. I would need to challenge myself to make the largest impact. I think not only would becoming a neurologist allow me to make a positive impact in the world of science but I hope in leaves me with even greater room to be a global citizen. I want to emulate Dr. Price and not only be recognized for a commitment in neurology but also as someone committed to society.