Brothers Forever

There is a zero chance of anyone walking into Step Brothers and not knowing what to expect. Here are your dead give-aways. Will Ferrell. John C Reilly, and Anchorman director Adam McKay. The story is gleefully simplistic and quickly established.  Dr Richard Doback (Richard Jenkins) and Nancy Huff (Steenburgen) meet at a convention, fall in love, marry and move in with one another. The only baggage they bring is their middle-aged children; his son Dale (Reilly) and her son Brennan (Ferrell). First, the new step-brothers wage war on one another in the most childish and puerile ways possible. Then they team up and become friends. Then they hate each other again. That’s pretty much it and it is amazing.

The laughs might be cheap, but they’re effective.The sight of Reilly excitedly running down a corridor in just his Y-fronts, Ferrell wiping his nut-sack on his rival’s prized drum-kit, the brothers’ self-explanatory rap video entitled ‘Boats ‘N’ Hoes’. These are two genuinely funny guys doing what they love – Reilly, who looks more like a shaved ape every day, is gifted with comedy in his DNA, and Ferrell knows this kind of low-rent routine like the back of his hand. The supporting cast is great; Jenkins plays exasperated well, and Adam Scott makes a delightfully oily concieted younger brother that Dale and Brennan can unite in hating (his a capella version of ‘Sweet Child Of Mine’ is a particular highlight). Obviously though, Ferrell and Reilly are the real draws here and they make a great double act, whether taking lumps out of each other or becoming best friends in the movie’s sweetest section

So, Step Brothers is unashamedly dumb, unoriginal and downright offensively childish. But aren’t these the very same reasons why people  these movies? It is a comedy similar to most of the reviews I do, but I cannot resist to not call it a classic.

5 thoughts on “Brothers Forever

1. Jacqueline Vertucci

Every time I see this movie I laugh. This is one of the funniest movies I’ve seen and I really enjoy watching it. Just thinking about some parts make me laugh!

2. Matias Rojas

Wow, every time I read your blogs, I always get reminded of great comedy movies. I remember seeing this and dying of laughter. The only scene I didn’t really like was the scene where they are playing in the band, I found that scene awkward and not funny, I don’t know why, just felt weird.

3. Teiana Bennett

This movie was freaking hilarious! I remember almost choking on my popcorn when Will and John started fighting after Ferrell rubbed his “you know what” on Riley’s drum set. CLASSIC! The movie was very childish but that was one of the things that made it awesome. Your review of the film made me laugh so good job!