- To apply you must first have a Friends of Penn State Account, or an existing Penn State Access ID. Friends of Penn State Accounts are free and can be created here: https://fps.psu.edu/
- Applications are due March 1st 2018.
- You will need a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (B equivalent) to qualify.
- You must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident ** unless you are a Penn State Student **
- The application also requests the names of two references for recommendation letters. We will email these two people requesting a recommendation letter about you. You should contact these people in advance. As a suggestion these letters could be from your faculty advisor and a relevant science professor.
- You will be asked to indicate your first, second and third choice of research area on the application form, and discuss your research interests and background. This will help ensure that the research project you will have is indeed one you wish to do. Please refer to the research page to prepare these statements in advance for a convincing application (there is no “save” button).
- After your application is complete, email an unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection process will start as soon as we receive your forms and letters. The main criteria for selection will be the student’s academic record and letters. We will also take into account the student’s enthusiasm for research in materials physics, and interest in career goals related to research in materials physics. The main aim to the selection process is to identify students who are well qualified, who have a keen interest in materials physics and who want to find out whether a career in this field is right for them.