Selin holding a Real Madrid scarf

Selin’s Experience in Spain

Selin studied in Madrid on the IES: Madrid, Language and Area Studies Program in Spring 2016.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?
One reason I would give for students to study abroad would be for the chance to step out of your comfort zone. I had never felt so independent and confident as I did abroad because I had to deal with situations on my own and live in a completely new environment. This gave me the opportunity to get out of my shell and explore new people and places. Now, not only am I more confident in my Spanish speaking abilities, but I am also more culturally aware and am able to adapt in difficult situations.

If you could go abroad again, what would you do differently?
If I could go abroad again, I would definitely take more risks. I would eat different food, take salsa dancing lessons, go to more outdoor markets, and overall get more involved in the community. My shyness and nerves sometimes got in the way of me taking risks, but I know if I went back I would make sure to not let those nerves get in the way and to just enjoy every minute by making the most of my experience!

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?
Selin sitting in front of an old buildingIn the future, I hope to become a Spanish teacher, and studying abroad in Spain gave me the opportunity to master my language abilities as well as get immersed in the culture. From taking classes in all different subjects to volunteering at an elementary school, my experiences helped me improve my Spanish and learn all about what Spanish culture entails. I hope to bring all of these aspects into my future classroom and give my students the assurance that one day they too can study abroad.

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?
Before studying abroad, I was really worried about being homesick and missing my friends. While I was homesick at times, I was so busy enjoying every moment of my four months there that the next thing I knew, I was back in the States already. I also was afraid that I would not be able to communicate effectively with my host family or my teachers. It was a little difficult at first to get used to the language, but by speaking it all the time I became really proficient and very comfortable speaking with everyone.