Anna’s Experience in Germany

Anna studied in Marburg on the Marburg: Philipps University, International Undergraduate Study Program in Fall 2016.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?
Studying abroad truly changes you for the better. While studying abroad I have had the opportunity to push myself out of my comfort zone. Any uncertainties I’ve encountered while traveling have made me a more independent, open-minded person. I’ve learned to listen more and be more compassionate for all people, regardless of our differences.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?
This was actually my third time studying abroad during my college career. I was excited to get back into the world and go somewhere exciting and challenging. I wanted to take my academics to the next level and test my German skills in Germany! I had very good experiences studying abroad through Penn State before, and felt myself drawn to taking on another great adventure abroad!

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?
Innsbruck MountainsI had fears that I would be homesick while abroad, but the friends I made while abroad helped me feel welcome and comfortable. Technology is also a big help when it comes to homesickness- video chatting back home is a great way to connect with family and friends. I also sent postcards from my travels abroad to loved ones. This was a great way for me to express my experience abroad and stay connected with those back home.

What was it about your program specifically that fit your personal goals over other programs?
The program I chose was great because it included a intensive language class component. This was something I was looking for as a German major who wanted to better her German skills. The language class was challenging and essential to helping me feel more confident in my German language understanding. It helped with not only my reading and writing skills, but also my listening comprehension and speaking skills.