We’ve been back from LA for a week now and, surprisingly, it’s nicer here than it was there! I’m also either still jet lagged or losing sleep over a full thesis draft due Friday. Or both? But anyway, last week’s trip to LA was incredible for so many reasons, and a great last trip in my tenure as a PLAer. Although there were so many highlights, from a delicious food tour to some amazing art and architecture, I’d like to reflect on one of my favorite events of the week: our time with LA’s Best.

Some of you may know that I had planned on teaching during my gap year between college and medical school. Unfortunately, plans and timelines changed, but it’s still something I feel incredibly passionate about. I had intended to go to Asia to teach English because I’ve grown so much in my previous experiences abroad and it would give me the opportunity to work on a problem I feel passionate about, education in underserved areas. I started becoming interested in educational opportunities as a way to mix my experiences with tutoring, travel, and Remote Area Medical. I looked into Fulbright, Princeton in Asia, and even Teach for America as a domestic opportunity. Ultimately it didn’t work out for next year, but LA’s Best sure made a big part of me wish it did.

I didn’t fully know what to expect after the question and answer session with LA’s Best and Heart of LA, which covered a lot of important issues that came up when I first started researching education access during my applications. We were going on a site visit, but I didn’t know exactly what happened at a site. Little did I know that I was about to have the time of my life hanging out with a group of elementary school kids on site. I don’t want to brag, but I was incredibly popular among the students. It took all of 3 minutes before they started to ignore their assignments (sorry teacher) to draw portraits of my face. Some were more flattering than others, but I really couldn’t stop smiling and laughing as we talked and colored. Maybe I should have pursued teaching opportunities more aggressively. Maybe I could’ve been a mentor, teacher, and friend to students like that everyday for the next year. Students who may have hard lives at home or hard times at school. Maybe there’s a way for me to integrate that same mentorship in my future career in medicine. I don’t know. But I do know that I had a fantastic time learning from LA’s Best, both with the speakers and with the kids. Really a highlight of the trip.