Right now, I am in the middle of watching Peaky Blinders. Taking place during Britain’s industrial revolution, it follows a family that rises through the top of society. They bind together as a gang, calling themselves the Peaky Blinders, and build a reputation and name for themselves through corruption, violence, and crime. The leader of the Peaky Blinders, Thomas Shelby, guides his family through difficult decisions and hard times. Thomas Shelby and the entire Peaky Blinders operation is built off of integrity.

I just read Kristine’s article on leadership and integrity. Although the article is supposed to be applied to real-life scenarios that are exemplar of great moral leadership, I couldn’t help myself from drawing comparisons to the TV show Peaky Blinders. It states that “Integrity is something that is built over time, not overnight.” And, in the TV show the Shelby family had to gain the trust and loyalty of the residents of Birmingham. To do so, they employ the residents, spend night after night at the local pub, protect the community. By the 4th season, their hometown is regarded as one of the only safe spaces for the Shelby family. When they are there, they know that the community is looking out for them as they are for the community.

The article also states that “People want a leader who practices what he or she preaches.” This is also a way of saying that people want a leader who keeps their word. The Peaky Blinders are unwavering when it comes to sticking to their word. Yes, this is true for violence, crime, and murder, but they also consistently look out for one another. There is an understanding amongst that family that no matter what, family always comes first. This is the foundation of their family, their business, and their lifestyle. If one member of the Peaky Blinders did not practice what they preach in this regard, then they would not be a member of the Peaky Blinders. This is truly integrity without fault.

I probably made a terrible comparison between integrity and a gang, but maybe there is a lesson we can really learn from the Peaky Blinders. They get things done, they have unwavering trust, and sense of community that is hard to come by. Their operation, although definitely not perfect and not to be replicated (lol), is built off of an insane standard of integrity