I have finally finished and submitted my thesis. It has been a long process that I am grateful for, but I am so glad it is over.

My thesis is about the Sweden Democrats and their rise to power. The Sweden Democrats are currently the third-largest political party in Sweden. They promote an anti-immigration platform that began to gain traction after the 2015 European migration crisis when Sweden took in over 160,000 refugees from the Middle East and Africa. I focused on the Sweden Democrats instead of another group because Sweden has long been seen as a ‘moral superpower.’ Hence, it was interesting that a right-wing populist party was growing massively. Throughout my research, I realized Swedish voters were concerned with the high amounts of refugees and migrants in their country for three main reasons. These three reasons are the strain on welfare and education, the rise in crime, and lack of integration, and the Sweden Democrats emphasized these ideas to bring in voters. While the party shares extremist beliefs, the Sweden Democrats also support the welfare system, LGBTQ rights, gender equality, and combating climate change, which is seen as less extreme values in Sweden. Through skillful political tactics, the Sweden Democrats found the sweet spot between a normal party and an extremist one, which is why they are successful.

Writing the thesis has been such a valuable process. This isn’t something that I just randomly sat down one day to write, but instead, it took time and effort. Over the summer, I went to Sweden to conduct research for this thesis. I also read hundreds of books, articles, journal entries, etc. If you have to write a thesis, please use your time wisely. I began my research over the summer, and by the end of the first semester, I had my rough draft of the entire thesis complete. This gave me sufficient time to edit and get feedback from my thesis advisor and supervisor. While this process was a grind, I don’t regret this at all. It showed me the grind of real work, which now I am not as nervous about. But I am glad that this is all over. It gives me the last month of college to relax and hang out with my friends. Senioritis is going to kick in.