During Maymester, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Switzerland through SC 497, a course on biotech entrepreneurship and sustainability. SC497 in Switzerland was an eye-opening experience for me, as I got the opportunity to engage in Swiss culture, which was (obviously) very different from American culture. It was my first time visiting Switzerland, and the vibes differed greatly from other European countries like Italy and Spain. I personally enjoyed visiting Switzerland the most out of all the European countries I’ve visited.

Visiting the Matterhorn in Zermatt, Switzerland!

The first thing that stood out about Swiss culture was its deep sense of national and cantonal pride. The streets of different cities and villages were decorated with flags of their cantons (e.g., a red and yellow flag with a black bear for Bern and a blue and white simplistic flag for Zurich) and the characteristic Swiss national flag. I felt a deep connection between the Swiss people and their country and canton, which stood out as a big contrast to the American people’s pride in their country and state of residence (equivalent to a canton in Switzerland). When I say the flags were everywhere, they were EVERYWHERE, almost on every street and alley.

Additionally, an interesting aspect of Swiss culture was the “division” observed in the country despite their strong sense of national pride. Individuals who did not speak Swiss German (perhaps from the French or Italian regions) were sometimes treated with a slight distance in public spaces such as restaurants. Maybe to the Swiss, the region of residence and spoken language may contribute a great deal to their identity.

And last but not least, the scenery was beautiful, everything from the Swiss Alps to city architecture. Pictures speak a thousand words, definitely much better than I can explain with words.