I feel like it’s human nature to compare your past and your present while aspiring for the future. If you don’t compare who you are to who you were, how can you see the growth you’ve done? The thing with my theory is that it’s flawed because I don’t know the limitations to my own concept. How do you differentiate overthinking to nonchalant? Underperforming to overperforming? How do you measure your mental stability, health and happiness? How do you calculate all the intrinsic aspects that made you the way you were?

Memory in its essence is similar to my theory because it is also faulty. You live today but you won’t remember it the same tomorrow. It could be romanticized in your mind without much effort but then, that becomes the archive of your life you look back on. 

These weeks, I’ve been comparing. Comparing freshman year to sophomore year, my friends then to now, the memories I made and the memories I’m making, and above all I’ve compared academics. In the majority of cases, I am much happier now. I am more confident with who I want to be, with who I want to surround myself with and what I’m doing with my path through life. Nonetheless, there is one difference that takes me aback and that is academics.  

As you get to know me, you’ll see that one of my biggest challenges is overthinking. I can be great at scenarios but not great in execution. I compare everything: prices in the supermarket, movies in the theater, makeup in catalogs, food in menus and team sports. 

This year I finally started a full semester as an Engineering student and let me tell you, it has not been fun. The reason why I chose to pursue a dual degree is complex and at times crazy. I initially started as a Business student at Smeal but overtime I seeked further academic challenges so I started implementing science and math into my curriculum to the point where I decided to change my track to a dual degree in Business and Engineering. Making that decision was easy, living with it hasn’t been as gratifying. The long hours of studying, the constant responsibility of being active in both colleges, the time constraint when being involved on campus, and above all the workLOAD. It’s been a drastic transition that has taken a toll on me. I’ve cried, screamed and contemplated going back home more than ever and I’m not embarrassed to admit it because I believe the best stories are the ones from underdogs who against all odds persist. The irony of it all is that my dream isn’t to be an engineer nor a businesswoman although both sound amazing. My dream is to pursue law, to become the best lawyer out there. I believe now I’m creating the personal and professional bonds and skills to tackle any case possible. So in conclusion, this blog is to tell you don’t give up. It’s the easiest way out of a tough situation but (although cliché) think of diamonds. The toughest ore on the planet only becomes what we know as a diamond through rough and hard impacts. Become a diamond, accomplish your best and live up to your potential.