PAS Post 5 : A tale as old as time…Small town girl…with big town dreams

For this Blog Post, I want to share one of my favorite comfort movies, which picks you up and makes you feel good that even though you have seen it a million times and know many words by heart, you continue to watch it. Burlesque, released in 2010, is one of my favorite films based on a story of a small-town girl in Iowa, Ali, who dreams of becoming a performer. Not only is the cast filled with great actresses/actors, but the details of the costumes, vocals, and choreography also blow my mind. Burlesque is a celebration of music, dance, and the art of Burlesque. If you are unfamiliar with Burlesque, it is a literary, dramatic, or musical work intended to cause laughter by caricaturing the manner or spirit of serious results or by ludicrous treatment of their subjects, also seen as seductive acts. However, the time and effort put into these performances is no joke. I didn’t know what Burlesque was until watching this film because it is not as common as it once was. Burlesque | Movies Anywhere

The film takes place in Los Angeles, where Ali arrives with nothing but her dreams and a suitcase full of clothes. She stumbles upon a burlesque club called The Burlesque Lounge, owned by Tess, a former dancer. Ali is mesmerized by the performers and sets her sights on joining the show.

The film is a feast for the senses, with elaborate dance numbers, stunning costumes, and catchy musical performances. With vocals done by famous artists Christina Aguilera and Cher, bringing back great old hits from when Burlesque was prominent and new originals.

This movie is about chasing dreams, working hard, and not taking no for an answer as Ali (Christina Aguilera) fights to make her dreams a reality. While also adding a scandalous and intense love story between her and her co-worker, Jack. It’s funny, romantic, and can almost be considered a musical at times because messages are conveyed through song.

Burlesque also explores the theme of female empowerment, as the performers in the show are shown to be strong, independent women who are unapologetic about their sexuality. They use their bodies and performances to control their lives and express themselves creatively without caring about judgment for their profession. One of the most impactful and essential aspects of this film is that the characters and the struggles are relatable, and I feel like this helps the movie connect to the watchers.

Burlesque is one of my favorite comfort movies and continues to be one I always go back to. I urge all readers to give this film a try. It may not look like it’s for everyone, but everyone to who I have recommended this movie has loved it, and for context, I made my older brother watch it. He would not usually watch a film like this just based on judging the cover, and he loved it. It’s filled with great messages and holds a great inspirational story. It’s Burlesque.