Hillbilly Hotdog

A few years ago, my family decided to drive out west to experience what “the west” has to offer. Mostly, it was seeing big red rocks, a lot of corn, and a lot of flat land, but we also stopped at one place I will never forget. My uncle, who has a knack for finding obscure places to go, found this hole in the wall place called Hillbilly Hotdog, which is located in Lesage, West Virginia. The owner’s, Sharie and Sonny, decided to build what is known as Hillbilly Hotdog so they could work together. So, the started building the 12 foot by 16 foot building. It opened on September 6, 1999. The idea behind the name of Hillbilly Hotdog was so that people could “come here and take it easy, relax, and enjoy a good hotdog. Fast food at a slower pace.” The other interesting part of this restaurant is that the customers contribute to the decorations and the bring items to hang out all around the building. In one case, someone brought a bus, so they attached it to the side of the building and installed tables in the bus and that is where people can eat. Since the business was becoming so successful, they decided to add on another hillbilly hotdog in Huntington, West Virginia. When we got to Hillbilly Hotdog, we were in shock, there was stuff everywhere, from tires to old reindeer from someone’s Christmas decorations, the place was filled with clutter. When we went inside we were handed a sharpie marker and told to sign our name anywhere on anything, but it was honestly hard to find a place to sign my name. After signing our names, we ordered our hotdog, unfortunately they were not very good and when we sat down at our table, there were ants crawling everywhere. Overall, I give Hillbilly Hotdog a 3 out of 5 stars.

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.