Marathon Reading

Upon arriving at the Marathon Reading, I was quite surprised to see what the event actually looked like. While I expected to see an ostentatious setup with hundreds of people gathered around to listen to an isolated speaker, I saw quite the opposite. Instead, there were balloons lined across the sidewalk leading to a small tent. There were perhaps fifteen people there, and a speaker that stood at a podium in the front. Although this was quite the contrast to what I expected, there is something quite endearing and personal about the modest setup. It’s untraditional, less intimidating, and fosters an atmosphere of community.

Essentially, this event gave me a great sense of togetherness. People from all parts of the Penn State community were there—from students to professors to alumni. It reminded me that we are all distinct individuals—yet still part of one greater community. Each reader had a distinct reading style. Some were shy and quiet while others radiated confidence. It was interesting to see all the different personalities and characteristics—as no two readers were the same. However, it was the quiet praise each reader received after reading and the fluidity in which readers exchanged places that really gave the event a sense of community. Even for a moment, we were all united and engaged in the same activity at the same time, experiencing something out loud together.

The Marathon Reading additionally promoted a sense of civic engagement as well. Even the mere act of reading is civic. The theme of “The Political Imagination” certainly contributes to this. The reading choices make us more aware of our past history. They draw upon many of the values our country was built upon and bridges the thoughts of the past with the new ideas of the present. The readings kept a unique mixture of ideas flowing through our minds while promoting knowledge and awareness. And it is very inspiring that all this was achieved with a small, humble tent just sitting in the middle of campus.

3 thoughts on “Marathon Reading

1. I had the exact same reaction when going to the event! I was picturing an indoor event (even though I knew it wouldn’t be) in some large auditorium with hundreds of people bored and listening to a speaker. The small, bright, outdoor event definitely was much more cosy and less intimidating. Even when a reader read in french I feel like everyone was intently listening to her words, as if the actual story didn’t matter but our togetherness did (it actually sort of reminded me of synagogue or church in that way).

2. The way you described what you expected the marathon read to look like is exactly what I had expected too! In my head I visualized hundreds of people and a huge stage, but that was not what it was like at all. I like what you had to say about how it ” gave you a sense of togetherness” because that is genuinely how i felt too because of how intimate the entire gathering really was. Really glad that someone else had that same feeling too!

3. Honestly, my school had an event like how you expected it to be, so I started with the same expectations. I think this format really stresses the sense of community, though. I agree with your point about different reading styles, that definitely made the texts more interesting to me.