THE BOXSTER

If someone were to ask me what my dream car would be, I would say a Porsche 718 Boxster S. I waste a lot of my time looking for used ones on Facebook Marketplace and CarFax.com. I have even gone as far as to build my own on the website, obviously ignoring the price tag. While I have been searching for a vintage Boxster myself, today we will be looking at the brand new 2022 model. 

The Porsche 718 Boxster is a sports coupe convertible. People consider the Boxster the lesser model than the Porsche 911. However, I think the convertible is superior. It is more affordable, and who doesn’t want a soft-top roof for warmer days? It’s the perfect package. So what draws people, including myself, to this car? Speed (insert Lightning McQueen audio from the first Cars movie). The Boxster is small but mighty. Its modern exterior makes it look like a fast car, and it sure lives up to the expectation. The 2022 model boasts an impressive 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds. Sure, there are a handful of cars that reach 60mph in half the time, including some Tesla models, but for the engine size and the price, the Boxster is hard to beat. Besides, unless you are some adrenaline speed demon, this is more than enough speed for you. Of course, if the base model isn’t good enough, the 2022 model has three engine options. The base model comes with a 300-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter flat-four, the S model has a 350-hp turbocharged 2.5-liter flat-four, and the high-end GTS 4.0 model gets a 394-hp 4.0-liter flat-six. All engines come equipped with a six-speed manual transmission. If stick shift isn’t your thing though, there is an option to purchase a seven-speed automatic transmission. In simpler terms, the base model has the cheapest and least powerful engine, and as you drop more thousands of dollars, the power grows.

The new Porsche Boxster: a near-perfect sports car | MoneyWeek

GTS 4.0 Model (aka the pricey guy)

But the cherry on top, to complement the speed, is the unmatched handling. The Boxster has the perk of a mid-engine design. When talking car layout, there are three engine positions manufacturers can choose from, the front-engine, mid-engine, or rear-engine. If you open the hood of your car and see the engine, bingo. You have a front-engine vehicle. This is the most popular design because most cars are front-wheel drive, and having the engine overtop the front wheels is better for traction. Front-engine cars are easy to drive, making them a good choice for all weather conditions. A mid-engine is located just forward from the rear wheels, underneath the car seats. This design evenly distributes the weight between the front and rear wheels, making the cars extremely well-balanced. A 50/50 balance is what gives the Boxster such butter-smooth handling. It is quick and smooth around turns and accelerates flawlessly. Because of this, the mid-engine is common in two-seater sports cars. The last configuration is the rear-engine. These cars are the least common and the most difficult to drive. But they have the fastest acceleration with all the weight located in the back of the car.

Why mid-engined cars are special and the 50/50 myth | Practical Motoring

In short, I think the Porsche Boxster is pretty cool. You cannot tell me that it isn’t an attractive car. Its staple headlight shape and nostalgic interior vents make the car. In fact, just check out this couple touring in their Boxster, it will make you jealous. In the meantime, I’m currently trying to convince my dad’s barber to sell his old one to me. Its a slow but persistent process, so wish me luck!

1998 Porsche Boxster Convertible | F282 | Harrisburg 2019

1998 S Model (aka what I’m trying to get my hands on)

Check out todays specs!

BASE PRICE

$65,850

ENGINE TYPE

turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve flat-4, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 152 cu in, 2497 cc

Power: 350 hp @ 6500 rpm

Torque: 309 lb-ft @ 1900 rpm

TRANSMISSION
 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS

Wheelbase: 97.4 in

Length: 172.4 in

Width: 70.9 in Height: 50.4 in

Cargo volume (front/rear): 5/4 cu ft

Curb weight: 3122 lb

SPEED TEST

Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec

Zero to 130 mph: 16.7 sec

Zero to 150 mph: 25.0 sec

Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.3 sec

Top gear, 30-50 mph: 7.8 sec

Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.7 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 12.6 sec @ 113 mph

Top speed (mfr’s claim): 177 mph

Braking, 70-0 mph: 144 ft

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.04 g

FUEL ECONOMY

EPA city/highway driving: 20/26 mpg

C/D observed: 18 mpg

C/D observed highway driving: 30 mpg

C/D observed highway range: 500 mi

4 thoughts on “THE BOXSTER

1. Hey!!! First of all, the humor in your blogs is unmatched hahaha; I especially appreciated the Cars movie reference. That car looks sick and I think you’ve pretty much sold it to me. I agree that when it gets above a certain speed, it doesn’t really matter unless I’m going to be challenging people to races at every traffic light. I appreciate that you not only told us the handling was good but also showed diagrams to show us why this was so.

Also, I just did not know cars came in so many options. Is this just for the Boxster or do most cars come with this many models?

1. Hey thanks kiddo!! I write exactly the same way I speak which is pretty much only good for blog posts lol. But to answer your question yeah, all cars come with different models starting with a base model and increasingly getting more expensive with additional features.

2. Oh man what a cool car! I have a lexus IS250 currently and I love to take the sunroof off in the summer. Having a convertible would make doing that even more fun. Combine that with the prestige and the speed this Porsche has I can easily see why this is your dream car!

3. You’re absolutely right, this car is beautiful. I even think it looks better than the 911. I love driving and I especially love driving our Tesla because of the speed, so I imagine this car is very similar. I never knew there was a different placing for the engines and I like the diagrams you included. I will definitely be designing my own Porsche after this. Nice job!