Why Baldur’s Gate 3 is a massive success

Baldur’s Gate 3,  a recently launched game developed by Larian studious stands as a monumental success in the video game industry. There are several reasons for this which I will explain in this blog.

Baldur's Gate 3 on GOG.com

The engaging world and story of the game is undoubtedly one of it’s greatest advantages. The story and world set in a dungeons and dragons type of fantasy world captivates the audience and hooks them into playing it. The world of the game features different races, monsters and animals that are only seen in fiction and gives the player to interact and fight with them.

Baldur's Gate 3 gameplay reveal gives us our best look at Larian Studios' sequel | GamesRadar+

The  combat system that requires strategy and creativity is also definitely a major factor that caused the game to be successful. The combat system forces the player to use their resources correctly and use the most efficient attack that targets the weaknesses of specific foes.  The player can choose to use various characters ranging from characters that are powerful in magic to characters that are strong in melee attacks. This also increases the player freedom and adds replayability to the game since the players can choose to play the game again with a different type of character after finishing.

Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access By The Numbers--Here's How Big It Will Be - GameSpot

The freedom of choice in dialogues, is a feature that indubitably benefited the games success. In the game, the players can select what they want to say to a character from various options. This affects the relationship between the player and the character as well as the story overall.  By giving the player the multiple choices, the game immerses the player further into the world and makes the player even more invested than they already are. The player can choose to be a merciless villain or a noble hero, or some random person. This feature makes the game much more replayable as well since the players can choose different dialogue options in their next playthrough to see the effect.

BALDUR'S GATE 3 Gameplay Reveal: The Return of a Legend — GameTyrant

A polished launch with the lack of bugs and glitches is another factor that made the game a success.  Nowadays, it is common for video games to launch as a buggy mess that constantly hinders the gameplay experience. The studios usually fix most of the bugs after a few months which makes the first few months excruciating. However, Baldur’s Gate 3 had a relatively solid launch that was mostly a smooth experience.

In conclusion, the game Baldur’s Gate 3 had various reasons for its success.  The reasons that I identified where it’s lack of bugs, the option to choose dialogues, the intriguing gameplay and the interesting world of the game. It is imperative that other game developers learn from this and apply the same features to their games if they want a successful launch.

Hafer, Leana. “Baldur’s Gate 3 Review.” IGN, IGN, 3 Sept. 2023, www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-review.

3 thoughts on “Why Baldur’s Gate 3 is a massive success”

1. Although I am not the biggest fan of video games, this was really interesting! You did a great job explaining the different details and I am excited to read about more in the next post. I like the pictures you used and how you separated the paragraphs, it made me stay engaged and follow it the entire read.

2. I think you did an amazing job constructing this blog. It was very detailed and held my attention as a reader, Additionally, the pictures had a similar effect as the visual aspects held my attention and helped me understand and imagine if I were to be playing the game. Video games are definitely something you are very passionate about and it shows!

3. It was awesome to post about BG3, this game can be difficult to explain and is quite expansive even for an RPG. I like how you broke it down into the different unique elements of the game which makes it easier to understand even for newer RPG fans or people not in the genre at all. Great post and I’m excited to see more in the future.