Community Tourism

This morning I saw an article on Facebook about a “post card perfect” town not too far from my house. Like many others, I was drawn to the quaint little shops and activities they had to offer. My excitement level rose as I scrolled through the authors pictures and descriptions of just how lovely this community was and I had to stop and think if this publicity would ruin it. Many locations thrive and survive on the business tourism brings in but I have seen and heard of the negative effects that over population can cause. The pollution and disrespect caused by out of town travelers can ruin the homes of all patrons, both human and animal, as well as kill any chance of tourism being welcomed again.

The article, Sustainability Indicators for Managing Community Tourism, discusses the ways to maintain the land from excessive traffic. Researchers use the Delphi Method, a qualitative technique for predicting future events by reaching a consensus (Chio & Sirakaya, 2006). In order to complete this study, tourism experts were consulted to recommend panelists and take part in the experiment using the Delphi Method. In the first round, 37 participated however, the number of participants in the second and third rounds decreased to 32 and 25 (2006). The data was collected through review of recent literature questionnaires were passed out and were comprised of three sections of definitions, principles and potential indicators of sustainable tourism (2006).

Once all three rounds were completed, data shows that the participants, the panel of experts, provided indicators into three categories: checklist, core and indicator issues. The checklist indicators will help local communities examine their current conditions and how to plan for a sustainable tourism community. Residents are also asked to be involved in the decision making processes to ensure the current and future development of their community (2006).  Findings also determined that the community will need to develop policies to maintain their natural environment, security and visitor safety policies. These policies should help protect the value of the community (2006). The expertise of these participants and their research provided each tourist community the tools for how to be successful and welcoming to observers for years to come.

Choi, H. C., & Sirakaya, E. (2006). Sustainability indicators for managing community tourism. Tourism Management, 27(6), 1274-1289. doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2005.05.018