Forming, Norming and Performing

The idea that as a team we can enhance each other’s successes is such a profound thought. Once we become a part of team and offer up some of our greatest assets, we can go even farther with a little help from fellow team mates. Magyar, Feltz, and Simpson found that the self-efficacy beliefs of players were related to their beliefs in the efficacy of their team (i.e., team efficacy). (Gruman, 2016)

I recently used the example of being on a 400 meter relay team as a way of explaining my thoughts on developing team behaviors. What I did not explain is that I also ran the 50 meter dash and the 100 meter dash, individually. I had very different ideas of how I was going to approach the two scenarios. When I was responsible for my own race and my own personal performance, forming, norming, were the least of my concerns.

The team dynamics are apart of the forming aspect. As teammates repeatedly interact, information (which might not ever be explicitly articulated) is learned and shared so that the players perform better together. (Gruman, 2016) The norming is apart of each persons responsibilities and then performing is what everyone is expected to do. When you are performing individually, the person you are thinking about is you and your best record. Even though I was rooting for my relay team all the way, I had to switch gears and focus on my personal achievements.

www.allproreels@gmail.com — from the Washington Football Team vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers at FedEx Field, Landover, Maryland, January 9, 2021 (All-Pro Reels Photography)

When you are on a team such as a relay team, collectively the ideas of the entire group must be taken into account. You need to be mindful of how you approach conversations and how you may come off. When I was running individually, it was just me and the track. When it was my individual races, I didn’t care if I was liked or if someone respected me. It’s such a mind blowing idea that you have to take the “you” out of team.

Applied Social Psychology : Understanding and Addressing Social and Practical Problems. Jamie A. Gruman, Frank W. Schneider, and Larry M. Coutts. SAGE Publications. 2016

Tags: , ,