Behaviorism and Token Economy for Children with ADHD

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopment disorder than is usually diagnosed in childhood or adolescence. Symptoms of the disorder can include, but not limited to: difficulty focusing, hyperactivity, short attention span, irritability, and more (So, 2008). If this disorder is left untreated, it can lead to adverse outcomes in academics throughout school years, and occupations throughout adulthood. One treatment technique that has been tested is behavior training using token economy in the classroom. This is brought on by B.F. Skinner’s behaviorism theory because the children are rewarded for appropriate behavior, which helps limit ADHD-like behaviors.

In a study conducted by So, Leung, and Hung (2008), children were rewarded for behaviors such as following directions, working quietly, raising their hand to speak, remaining in their seat, and showing good sportsmanship. The researchers were sure to demonstrate these appropriate behaviors to the children so they can follow them accurately. The tokens that were earned, were able to be exchanged for a reward. If the children violated the rules, a token was taken away. Behaviorism emphasizes that behaviors followed by favorable consequences are more likely to occur than behaviors followed by unfavorable consequences (Gruman, 2017).

The children received daily feedback on their behaviors and tokens earned on a daily report card. This feedback allows the children to understand associations between the good behaviors and reward, and the bad behaviors with consequences. In later sessions, the children completed their own self-reviews to practice self-monitoring and self-management to find solutions to their problematic behaviors. This is very important to effectively modify behaviors, instead of only focusing on giving rewards and consequences. If the children understand why the behaviors are bad, they could be more likely to want to act appropriately.

Overall, Skinner’s behaviorism theory emphasizes the use of reward and punishment to limit undesired behaviors (Gruman, 2017). The key to incorporating this theory’s components is to model the desired behaviors, so children have a complete understanding of what is expected. I believe using a token economy to reinforce appropriate classroom behaviors for children with ADHD is an effective intervention, rather than relying on medications to fix their problem-behaviors.

Gruman, J. A., Schneider, F. W., & Coutts, L. M. (Eds.) (2017). Applied Social Psychology: Understanding and Addressing Social and Practical Problems (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

So, C.Y.C., Leung, P.W.L., Hung, S. (2008). Treatment effectiveness of combined medication/behavioural treatment with Chinese ADHD children in routine practice. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 46 (9), 983-992. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2008.06.007

4 comments

1. Kevin Karczewski

Greetings! The utilization of behaviorism principles, particularly through token economies, in addressing ADHD symptoms among children is indeed a promising approach. By incentivizing desired behaviors and providing immediate feedback, children with ADHD can better understand the link between their actions and consequences, fostering self-regulation skills crucial for academic and social success. However, it’s important to recognize that while behaviorism-based interventions can be effective in managing symptoms, they may not address the underlying neurobiological factors contributing to ADHD. Thus, a comprehensive treatment approach should integrate multiple strategies, including behavioral interventions alongside other evidence-based practices such as medication and cognitive-behavioral therapy.

2. Hi! I agree that rewarding children for displaying appropriate behaviors reinforces positive actions and discourages negative ones. The tokens, which can be exchanged for rewards makes the consequences of behavior more understandable for children. This method promotes a consistent, and clear understanding of expectations.
    The practice of giving feedback through report cards and parent teacher conferences do not support continuous positive and negative reinforcement, as daily feedback is often shown to be more effective. This can also aid in helping children with ADHD understand their own behaviors, and the consequences that follow in real time. This will then affect their long term behaviors as they develop and continue to approach new situations.

3. Hi! I agree with how you said that using a token economy to help show appropriate classroom behaviors for children with ADHD is more effective than medication. I think it’s important how you included the children get daily feedback in order to self-reflect and improve on themselves. Something else you could consider is an example of each way these methods are used. For example, “you might give your child a few jobs to do after school. When all the jobs are done, he may earn stickers on a chart or special time with a parent.”

Reference:
    https://extapps.childrenshospital.org/EFPEC/Home/Sheet/3817#:~:text=With%20a%20token%20economy%2C%20a,special%20time%20with%20a%20parent.

4. Your discussion about behaviorism and token economy for children with ADHD goes with my views that we should rely on such methods before relying on medication. As someone who has ADHD, I can say that I had to try different methods to manage my ADHD because unfortunately, I could not get the medication for it. Being an immigrant from a very small country in Eastern Europe where mental health and diagnoses for ADHD did not exist and were not talked about. When I first mentioned to my parents that I had symptoms of ADHD, they told me that this is not true and that ADHD is something that doctors use to get money from people. I had to wait until I was 18 to go to a doctor myself and get diagnosed. However, considering I am still under my fathers health insurance, I am not able to get access to medications because he does not support it. This is when I started on working with other methods to control my ADHD while I am studying or trying to focus.
    On the textbook, they mention behaviorism which emphasizes that behaviors followed by favorable consequences are more likely to occur than behaviors followed by unfavorable consequences (Gruman et. al., 2017). So, in my case, I did not always have someone offer me rewards when it comes to doing a good behavior, which meant I had to rely on myself. Whenever I sit down and do work now, I will reward myself with a healthy snack for every task that I complete and use a planner to stay organized.
    Your discussion question did spark a question in my head which I want to get your opinion on. What do you think about cases with children that suffer from severe ADHD and therefore they rely heavily on their medication? Do you think behaviorism and token economy would still be effective in such cases?

Source:
    Gruman, J. A., Schneider, F. W., & Coutts, L. M. (Eds.). (2016). Applied social psychology : Understanding and addressing social and practical problems. SAGE Publications, Incorporated.