How Gun Control Affects You

The debate over gun control has been debated greatly in the past year and continues to be a hot topic in the political scene. This semester I tried to keep everyone updated on Obama’s plans and his push to get them passed, but it is a long and in depth process, therefore there still is no conclusion to the debates. There most likely will not be a decision for quite a bit of time because of how controversial it is.

All of the tragedies that have taken place in the past year have proven that there needs to be a change in gun policies in this country, but just how much change is not clear. There is the option to go back to gun restrictions that expired about a decade ago or make completely new policies. The goal is to make this country safer without taking away the rights of the people. The constitutionality of these proposed policies are therefore widely debated, but at the end of the day, something needs to change.

Making stricter gun policies will not rid the US of gun violence, and that is not what I want anyone to take from this. Making laws stricter will simply reduce the amount of these shootings by increasing the difficulty in buying a gun and reducing the possibility of mass shootings through restrictions on guns and magazine sizes. The plans that I explained in my past posts are extremely detailed in order to get rid of any loopholes and insure a safer future for everyone.

You may think that this topic does not affect you, but it does. It affects everyone in this country. You don’t believe me? Well check out this flyer that Francis was so kind to send to me when she saw it on campus:

Gun control is being debated right here at Penn State, and now students are advocating for concealed carry on campus. I’m not sure about you guys, but I know that I would not feel comfortable knowing that absolutely anyone around could be carrying a gun. Arming everyone is not the solution, because it just makes room for more violence. If you agree with me, then it is time that you speak up. Make sure that you feel safe here at Penn State as well as at home. Make your voice heard! Sign petitions in support of President Obama’s plan on https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/ and speak up at any events that come up on campus. Make sure that your opinion is represented! If your opinion is that gun laws should not be made stricter, then make that known also! It is important to take a part in this debate, because it will affect you. Fight for what you want the conclusion of these debates to be, and make sure to stay updated on the situation!

This entry was posted in Civic Issues and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to How Gun Control Affects You

1. Gwen Fries says:

Make sure that your opinion is represented! If your opinion is that gun laws should not be made stricter, then make that known also! It is important to take a part in this debate, because it will affect you. Fight for what you want the conclusion of these debates to be, and make sure to stay updated on the situation!”

Jess, I fell in love with you at this moment. How wonderful of you to encourage people to represent themselves, even if you disagree! That’s a gorgeous Madisonian spirit if ever I’ve seen one! You’ve posted beautifully all semester. You’ve remained level-headed and logical in a debate which could easily become heated. Good on ya, kid.

2. Maddie O'Brien says:

I think that is so scary that people on campus want to be allowed to carry a gun! No thank you! Just like they are taking a stand in support of concealed weapons we have to take a stand too because I sure as heck do not want to be sitting next to someone who has a loaded gun in their backpack. One wrong thing said to them and bam youre gone. Just kiiding but you never know!

3. pam5393 says:

Gun control does indeed affect all of us. I really hope that the people in the White house can get a substantial policy together in order to stop all of these tragic shootings. Jess you have made great points throughout these civic issues post in regards to the issue. I can only hope that some one listens so that we all can be safer. Great topic and posts on this all semester.