Honor, Malala, and Gender Equality

Reading The Honor Code by Kwame Anthony Appiah and I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai this summer has definitely been a very interesting experience, as many of the themes of the two books coincided with important events involving potential cultural shifts in our society. I Am Malala recounts the childhood of Nobel Peace Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai as she campaigns for the importance of girls’ education, ultimately resulting in the confrontation with the Taliban where she was shot in the head. Thanks to a global effort, Malala survived against all odds, and continues to fight for the right of education for all, regardless of gender, religion, and age. Similarly, The Honor Code also touches on the status of women in Pakistan, specifically the epidemic of honor killings, but spends most of its time analyzing the cultural shifts that took place in various regions throughout history that resulted in moral revolutions.

41nlxQ74g0L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_51dVLcrS0gL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_

I couldn’t help but draw comparisons to the gender equality movement that has gained so much momentum this summer. Reading The Honor Code prompted me to analyze the many honor codes in which we live under in the United States today. One of which is that the male should be the head of the household, a breadwinner of sorts, who illustrates bravery, toughness, and a cold demeanor. Though gender equality is often thought of as a women’s issue, many seem to forget that males are subjected to similar standards regarding body image, personality, and social status. Reading the Schreyer selections this summer has helped me evolve as a person in two ways. First, it helped me to analyze the societal pressures that we all live under, and second, it gave me the passion and inspiration to work for a cause that I believe in.

This fall, I will be working with a campus organization called Open The Box, which seeks to bring more sexual assault resources to campus and to make students more aware of gender equality issues. If you are interested in learning more about the organization, check out our twitter, Facebook, and Instagram pages, and get excited for the great things to come.